We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or self catering

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel or self catering

Dear all,

I am planning a second trip to Cape Town as it is now my favourite city. I would like to spend 7 days in Cape Town. I am thinking a nice self catering cottage at constantia area. But my husband is more concerned on safety he would rather stay in a hotel. He likes vineyard hotel in newland. I would like to hire a car but he rather takes taxi or private tour! What do you think? Am I right or ami I right?

Many Thanks

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or self catering

well, I am afraid it is "each to his own". For us, we love self catering in Bergvliet (near Constantia). We do get fed up of dining out all the time. Ascot Gardens It is a short walk to supermarkets, restaurants, train station etc. We always have a car - just for getting around during the day, as we like to meander along at our own pace. We do use taxis in the evening as we like a drink!! You really should make a list of the places you want to visit and see where that takes you. We have always felt safe walking around the bergvliet area. Hope this helps.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or self catering

Thank you for your input. The self catering property is on upper constantia at 1 Dawn Ave. Does anyone know the area? How safe is it? Do I need a property with electric wire and alarm system? I think the decision is down to safety matters.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or self catering

Our sc option has electric gates etc. but the area doesn't,t appear to be a problem. Constantia itself is an upmarket area and is presumably more prone to burglaries. Say out in the suburbs and enjoy the peaceful lifestyle. Unless you want to be in the thick of things!!!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or self catering

Where is the property ? I cannot find Dawn Ave on google maps. Constantia is nice but it will be rather expensive if you take taxi's everywhere from here better to hire a car. Newlands is a very busy area. I'm with Joyce as I lived in the southern suburbs for 2 years, in Clovelly, very safe area on the mountains & only one route in & Fish Hoek police station is right there. Still need a car though.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or self catering

Dawn Ave is correct but Google Maps shows it as Dawn Road. Turn left at the top end coming down Southern Cross Drive. I live just a few minutes from here over Constantia Nek and drive this way very often. A lovely quiet, very up-market area of Cape Town that I would have NO hesitation at all recommending anyone to stay - the area as I don't know the individual property, although it looks lovely on the web.

Stella - You are Right - and you are Right!!

As I say we live not far away and although we have an alarm system - it was fitted when we bought the house and we get cheaper insurance rates with it - we don't have walls (just hedges) and certainly not electric fencing. Some do have fences but then we have never had an incident in over 10 years living here.

You (or your husband) seem to feel that coming to Cape Town is somehow much more "unsafe" than staying at home. Comparisons are never straightforward but if you look at crime statistics for the Kirstenhof Police District which includes up-market Constantia, middle income areas such as Bergvleit and Meadowridge and some much poorer areas such as Kirstenhof and Dreyersdal (not townships or shanty towns were most of the crime sadly takes place). Then compare the whole of Cambridge which I would suggest includes a pretty similar cross section. Taking the latest published crime stats for Cambridge (UK CrimeStats) and Kirstenhof (SAPS 2013 stats) and pulling out the crimes that might be relevent to a tourist staying on their own - Residential Burglary, Robbery and Violent Crime - Cambridge 15.8 crimes per thousand pop - Kirstenhof 21.3 crimes per thousand pop. A little bit higher. But then Cambridge is considered one of the "safest" cities in the UK.

I would expect Upper Constantia to be very much lower than the Police District average (disagree with Joyce there) - but then you might also live in an area of Cambridge with lower than average crime?

Like everyone else on here I also agree that you would need a car. But driving in Cape Town is MUCH easier than any city in the UK - even Cambridge (and I've lived in many). Rush hour traffic holds you up for a few minutes - if at all. Parking is easy and available all over. And cheap - half a day in one of the big centres such as the waterfront, with thousands of undercover spaces, costs R10 (59p).

So just tell your husband again that you are Right! Then come and have a great time in this amazing place where you can live in Mountainous Forests and Vineyards and close to the Ocean but still be in the centre of a wonderful World City in about 15mins!

Edited: 16 December 2013, 13:29
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel or self catering

I love constantia and the suburbs and just presumed that a more upper class area would have burglary problems. I might add that I have never felt more safe than in this area, quiet but so close to everything you might want. That's why we will be on our 4th visit in January Having lived in Leeds until retirement 10 years ago, I wouldn't venture out there at night, but always feel safe in ct. We avoid what are the obvious isolated areas. Enjoy -a wonderful country

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel or self catering

Stella. I think we're actually staying at the property you are referring to. Having been in yge Cape several times we've been trying to book it every time we've been - this is the first time we have been able to get availability!

As VdC says its a good up market area - and we hope we'll enjoy it as much as we did Hout Bay! Roll on the next 9 weeks!

Thx also VdC for your recent Hout Bay dining update. :)

Edited: 16 December 2013, 19:32
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel or self catering

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your input. Didn't consider maybe difficult to get the booking for the cottage. Please let me know your experience of the property. I think it is generally safe as long as we are sticking to tourists area. However when ever I have a conversation with anyone from SA, they all kept saying how it is really unsafe and violent. You feel you need to take it into consideration as they were locals.

Merry Chrismas !

Stella

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel or self catering

They WERE locals. We ARE locals. A huge difference! People who left SA, particularly in the 90s, often have a very different agenda!

When did they leave South Africa? How many lived in Cape Town? How many in Constantia or a few minutes away? When did they last visit?

New York
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel or self catering

I missed any mention of B+B's. I found them to be a great mid-ground. Safe, personal, reasonably priced, charming. We use the Portfolio Collection as a guide, but I know there are many good ones not listed there. Some offer excellent food. All had interesting other guests, mostly South African.