We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return trip ideas- Cape Town and beyond.

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Return trip ideas- Cape Town and beyond.

Hello all. My wife and I visited SA in May 2012 we were there almost 4 weeks on our honeymoon and we’re considering returning next year probably April time. Previously we stayed in Cape Town, then onto Franschhoek, drove the garden route and took a plane from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg, spent time in Hazy View doing some self drive safari and then onto a private game lodge.

We’re looking for inspiration on what to consider for a return trip, we enjoyed Cape Town and would def return, possible split a stay in the city with some time in Camps Bay. We’d also return to the wine lands, possibly consider Stellenbosch as a different base although we loved Franschhoek as it was compact and full of great restaurants! We’d not repeat the garden route again, we enjoyed many of the stops but would rather spend time seeing something new-we were thinking Durban? Safari I’m not sure if we’d repeat or not,a s it was our honeymoon we splurged on a private lodge and there’s the chance it would lead us to compare it to that.

I’d be interested to hear from return visitors and what you did differently from your first trip? Part of me wants to just spent the majority of our time exploring the Western Cape more.

Any suggestions? Probably have 3 weeks to play with.

Thanks in advance.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Return trip ideas- Cape Town and beyond.

Hello and May through to August is a lovely time to be in KZN. Its dry crisp and clear although can get very cold at night in the Drakensberg. I am not sure its a good time to be in the Western Cape? I have been a few times in our summer and its very different from UK winter time trips. I am just planning my trip for Feb 2014 and I have had some stunning safari/wildlife encounters. However I will take a few safari type trips again next time. I have found you always see something new. Otherwise with the Drakensberg Mountains & Isimangaliso Wetlands, both world heritage sites, plus the battlefields and beaches there are loads of things to do and see.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Return trip ideas- Cape Town and beyond.

Hi Benjii

Visit the Karoo before the fracking starts!!!

My ideal route would be Langebaan, Citrusdal, Cegerberg, Ceres, Tankwa, Sutherland, Maatjiefontein, Prince Albert and Swartberg Pass to Oudtshoorn, driving the Meiringspoort then going to either George or PE to fly to KZN.

13. Re: Return trip ideas- Cape Town and beyond.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 05:16