We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town with a young child

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape Town with a young child

I am not totally aware about what South Africa has to offer and do apologize in advance for my ignorance. My husband has just been informed that he is going to travel to Cape Town for work in a couple of months and has asked me to join him afterwards with our small child who will be 21 months old. It would only be for less than a week and I am worried that after the long flight, that we wouldn't get to enjoy the activities and spectacular scenery that is available as our daughter is so young. Has anyone done a similar trip to this with a little one, how did they go and what were you able to experience?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Toddler issue aside, the direct Qantas flight Adelaide/ Sydney/Jburg is 14 hours, from Perth SAA is 11 hours 40 mins. Assuming you are flying onto CT you need to add on more hours and even more if overnighting, to take a morning flight. This is a long way to go for less than a week with or without a toddler, don’t forget to add in the jet lag. Hard to say if you will enjoy the activities/scenery with a small child, only you know how your daughter might react. However, It is a lovely city to visit and you will find plenty to do and see within a week. OPs may have more specific advice on travelling such a distance with a small child.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Traveling around with a toddler of about 21months will be absolute fine. It will be even much better if you will be renting a car to get to the sightseeing places which you can make and break according to you styling and travel time. It is indeed 100% safe to travel with children and i have seen it many times from other travelers through out Cape Town, domestic or international.

Hank - Owner- Ulungele Tours

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town with a young child

You should be able to visit the huge majority of sights with your little one. I've taken strollers on the cable car up Table Mountain, on the ferry to Robben Island. My toddlers loved the aquarium and seeing the penguins at Boulders Beach, as well as enjoying time on the beach there. There's lots of room for them to run around at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and many of the vineyards have beautiful grounds for exploring.

And the shopping malls are readily negotiated with a stroller too!

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Thank you everyone for your advice and ideas on where is good to travel. You're right Nooee in terms of the short time frame, I'm weighing up if is actually worth it or not to go this time or save it and go later when we have more time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Very valid points Nooee, it isnt the on ground issue its the long flight with a small toddler, clearing customs, immigration and ensuing practicalities, Go to CT when you have time to truly enjoy. Save it then savour ~~

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Stargaize is giving pragmatic advice. I agree save it for later and have more time. Our little petal cousin, 20 months came to visit this Xmas from Tokyo a 5 hour flight well travelled but parents exhausted. SA is a lot further..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Think a typo there Nooee you meant 9 am sure ( in case ) or you will cop a treatise on flights from Tokyo from experts ~~

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Think I know you mean LOL

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town with a young child

lol ~~

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town with a young child

Canchaeel you should take the opportunity and come as you never know when you will have another opportunity. My daughter flew here from L.A. with a 2 year old and with the lay over in London that was over 30 hrs, so Australia is plain sailing. You wont sleep your days away and their is plenty to do and see with a 21 month old.