We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

We are booked at the Cape Royale Suites, and I'm trying to get a better understanding of the kind of neighborhood it's in. It seems to be near the Waterfront, as well as near the stadium.

Now some of the travel websites play up the stadium/ Green Point but I'm having a hard time visualizing the benefits of being near a massive concrete structure that is unused most days of the year.....

So.. in the neighborhood where Cape Royale is, are people walking around at night? Are there relaxing spots in the walking proximity? Is the Waterfront area alive at night with people walking around?

Can I walk at night comfortably to Sea Point, or am I going to be walking along big roads with empty dark sidewalks?

The general advice in CT seems to be to take a cab at night rather than walk. Do I have the right impression?

(I'm not looking for techno nightclubs, rather just comfortable bars/bistros/live music type places.)

Thank you!

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

The Cape Royale is situated in a good area, with a number of restaurants and bars within a few metres from the hotel. Greenpoint is a very trendy area with a plethora of bars, restaurants and clubs - many cater for the Gay community - and are tasteful and vibrant

The Waterfront is close, but I personally would take a taxi to get there and back. It is the major destination for shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs etc. and is perfectly safe to walk around

Seapoint is around 2km and I would take a taxi, it is a large area some of which is safe to walk around, but also has areas where I personally wouldn't walk at night. It has some good restaurants for which taxis are easy to arrange.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 22:44
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

From the Cape Royale to the Waterfront will be longer to take a taxi than to walk "across a large road" and down the road to the waterfront. There are some restaurants in Green Point, not great ones though. Its not a "gay area". De Waterkant which is about a km down the road is a "gay area". It also depends what time of the year you will be in Cape Town. Summertime is very safe to walk around and winter time not so safe. The waterfront is alive at night mainly with lots of restaurants. THe shops stay open till 9p.m. so for shopping too. You can walk to Sea Point if you want a longish walk but again Sea Point is just restaurants and shop. THe Sea Point beachfront is nice for a stroll on a summers evening. THe urban park is very near to the Cape Royale and is nice during the day.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

Bearing in mind that the question referred to walking at night, would you really recommend walking from the Cape Royale to the Waterfront at night Divacape?

"Green Point is a neighbourhood of Cape Town, South Africa located to the north west of the central business district. It is a popular residential area for young professionals and for the Cape Town gay and lesbian community." - Wikipedia

Please try to give accurate information when answering replies

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

I don't know which is the gay area in ct but I would back diva cape over Wikipedia any day of the week!!!!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

@safarichild YES I would recommend walking from the cape Royale to the waterfront at night. Did you even read what I wrote. I also spoke about the different times of tbe year. And @ joyce thank you. Again safarichild the information I give is 1000

% correct. I do not rely on wikkipaedia for my information otherwise if every one relied on wikkipaefia there would be no need for trip advisor destination experts. I have NEVER been to wikkipaedia and they are INCORRECT as green point is not an area for gays and lesbians what utter hogwash. And even if it wsd so what. What the heck has that got to do with anything.The reason I was chosen to become a d/e several years ago and am still holding my status year in and year out is that my information is honest and correct. So your accusation is unfounded. If you dont have constructive information to give don't give any.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 05:35
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

Everything that Divacape has written is 100% correct and having stayed in De Waterkant several times and know where the Cape Royale is, I would definitely walk to the Waterfront at night

Divacape lives in Cape Town and pretty close to the areas that were questioned, so she knows what she is talking about!!!

Lisa

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

Agree with divacape - so what which area is supposed gay and lesbian area. Cape Town is a very cosmopolitan city anyway. And yes walk to waterfront from green point it is right there!

Just by-the-by destination experts are such for a reason!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

Also a lot of non DE's lol....... all adds to why we are giving advice eh ??

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

Where are those "like" buttons. T/A needs them and absolutely u dont need to be a d/e to give information. I myself get lots of helpful info on here.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife: Greenpoint, Waterfront, Sea Point

Well said !!! we all try to be fair ( most ) and ridiculing is getting a tad out of hand in this forum.