We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Philadelphia...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Hello!

I will be traveling to Cape Town in early July and will stay for 5 days. My husband and I hope to stay in the town center so that we can take advantage of their great food scene. However, we also would like to do some wine touring.

We are debating whether we should stay in Cape Town the whole time and then rent a car for day trips? OR stay in Cape Town part of the time and perhaps stay in wine country for a night or two. I'm not familiar with where the wine areas are in location to the city. Should we focus on a certain wine area or are there multiple areas that we should check out? Basically, I'm wondering if day trips are the way to go or if it would be worth it to hop around.

Thanks so much for the help.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Hi..!

The 3 areas that make up the Cape Winelands are Paarl, Stellenbosch (oldest and probably most well known) and Franschoek. You can visit them all in one day and do some tastings and a cellar tour at farms along the way, that way you will probably fit in 5 farms if you don't rush too much. Here is where they are.. http://bit.ly/1ahYwHB

Depending on how much you guys are doing in Cape Town, you could easily spend the night somewhere in say Franschoek, which is absolutely beautiful by the mountains and the vineyards and is a welcome break if you stayed in the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

But yea it's easy just to do a day trip because it is so close by. There are also lots of companies doing tours there if you guys don't want to taste and drive. wineflies.co.za is good and offer a bit of a different one with a fun vibe but if you google it there are quite a few companies.

Oh and there is also Groot Constantia which is closer to town that also has a lot of history and beautiful grounds, but definitely take a drive to the other 3 and have a picnic somewhere!

Enjoy your trip!

Guillaume

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Youre better off staying in one place for 5 days. THe winelands is about an hour and a halfs drive away. You wont be able to do all 3 places in one day. You'll see nothing by running from one place to another. Choose one place like Franschoek and go early in the morning for the day and do 4 -5 wine farms. What great food scene are you referring to in the centre of town. I definitely wouldnt choose the centre of town to stay. Its winter in July. You should rather stay at the Waterfront or Green Point Sea Point or De Waterkant but not the centre of town.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
563 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Divacape

why wouldn't you stay in the centre of town during winter - although if you search accommodation on TA most of Cape Town comes under the CBD!!

Twononefive

A lot of the restaurants have very good winter specials on in July to fill their tables during the "slow" season, so check just before you arrive and get yourselves a bargain!

Then to throw a spanner in the works! Although Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschhoek are thought of as the Cape Winelands, they are not the only areas that make wine! How about a day trip to Hermanus to see the whales, combined with some wine tasting. There are some excellent wineries in the Hemel en Aarde Valley.

Groot Constantia has already been mentioned but there are several wineries to visit in Constantia, Cape Town's very own winelands! Eg, Constantia Glen, Eagles Nest, Buitenverwachting, Klein Constantia, Steenberg.....

Also if you are foodies, then there are several very good restaurants on wine farms

Tokara, Delaire, Rust en Vrede, Hidden Valley, Guardian Peak, Jordan - all in Stellenbosch

La Colombe, Buitenverwachting, Steenberg in Constantia

So although a trip to the winelands is a great day out, and I would also drive yourselves, you can taste wine elsewhere too.

But a nice trip would be to go to Stellenbosch, over the Helshoogate pass and call in Franschhoek before coming back to Cape Town.

I was there at the beginning of July last year and had exceptionally warm weather, but that isn't the norm. I'm not quite sure it would be picnic weather - unless you are very hardy folks!

Lisa

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Hi lisa. I dont like the centre of town at the best of times although there are some good hotels. Being a born and bred capetonian I know what towns about and I actually find it not that safe. Winter has less people arpund or sgpuld I say less tourists and really ypu cant walk around the centre of night alone or before vdec gives me a mouthfull let me say that its I.m.o.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Hi TwoOneFive

There are 3 main wine regions outside Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl.

Stellenbosch is approx 45 min from Cape Town so your 1st possible wine farm is about 35 min from Cape Town.

Most wine tours do these regions in a full day tour, typically 3 tastings/farms with a lunch stop.

For closer wineries there are the regions of Constantia and Durbanville which are 20min from Cape Town but in opposite directions.

Depending on the type of tasting or experience would determine if you want to move from area to area or stay at a home base and move from there.

It is also the start of the Whale Watching season, so a boat trip from Hermanus might be an option.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

From the drinking and driving point of view, I would stay in the wine area.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
563 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

Divacape

Fair response!! The only places I have walked around at night is De Waterkant and the waterfont! I just usually take a taxi everywhere. I would say a lot of the fine dining restaurants are in the city centre though....so just depends what you like

I parked in a multistory during the day opposite the Tourist Office. I was on my own and didn't feel comfortable, so can understand what you are saying

Lisa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

I would say to stay in Cape Town for the hole 5days and explore from there. You can do a day trip from the City and explore the Wine Lands and also The Cape Peninsula for a full day. The Wine Lands like everybody said, it is only about 45mins away. And you do not need to start so early in the morning with tastings, you can maybe do an encounter with the cheetahs in Somerset West and then from there head down to the Wine Lands for the first tasting.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

9. Re: Cape Town & Wine Touring -- Stay in one place or hop around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:17