We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hello Fellow traverlers!!

Two friends and I are going to South Africa in March, we wil be arriving in CPT on Sunday at night, around 9pm.. so that day is considered NULL! I'd like to get an amazing intinerary for 4 full days. We are leaving on Friday the 28th around noon. We like an itinerary where we could see views, nature, city, people, etc! We are into photography, trekking, and walking! Would you recommend us to rent a car for the full 4 days? in what area would you recommend for us to stay in? Any advice you guys can give us would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Luigi

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

There is a very good "Hop ON/Hop Off open top bus with 2 routes, some overlap. A 2 day pass will take you to all the major sites including the Table Mountain cableway. You can hike up the mountain, of course, or take the cableway and hike on top, weather permitting.

There is a stop at the Kirstenbosch botanical gardens and several stops along the coast. Also a stop at the V&A Waterfront from where trips to Robben Island depart as well as other harbour cruises.

We didn't use a car for the 5 days we were there and got to see and do a lot.

We booked a combined "Township" and Robben Island tour with Camissa Tours and were not disappointed with either the tour or the price.

We stayed in the City Bowl area which was convenient for most places we wanted to go or a short taxi ride

away. We could walk to the V&A from our apartment. There, the craft market, all local crafts, and the food market were interesting and we enjoyed sampling some of the foods.

I hope this is helpful.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Eileen - Good to hear from you. You must be about half way through your trip by now. How is everything going? I must apologise for the weather on your first week. Must be about the worst January week we have had in Cape Town for years!

Then Luigi, where are you going before and after Cape Town? If you are spending time in the Winelands, the West Coast or the Garden Route, then the advice what to do in and around Cape Town would be different to if these four days were your only days in the Cape.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

V D C,

Good to hear from you too

All good so far. Weather was changeable in Cape Town but we're British!

We got to the top of the mountain in the cable car and had 5 minutes of good views and photos before the cloud came down.

Spent an uneventful night in Robertson before going to Botlierskop Game farm for 2 nights. Only a small reserve and not a truly wild experience but we did see a lot of animals close up, including mother and 2 week old baby rhino. Great food there, I'm getting fatter.

Now on an ostrich farm, Oudshoorn, about to visit Cango caves. Knysna tomorrow.

I'll write a more detailed review of the trip when we get back.

Scotland
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

We spent 5 days in Cape Town and i doubt there would be much benefit in hiring a car unless you fancied a Stellenbosch visit for the wineries.

The Red HOHO bus goes to all the major places of interest taxi's are cheap so much we found it much easier to get around using them.

As soon as you have a clear sky day i would head for Table mountain, (buy tickets online in the UK, saves queuing) it's amazing and you will get soem great photo's.

Camps bay is lovely and make sure you leave some time there for the beach and a few drinks/lunch at one of the many cafes.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

If you are just going to stay in the city then you won't need a car but if you want to visit the coast, Cape of Good Hope etc and the Winelands, then I would hire one.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Camps Bay WAS lovely but the sea is very cold and it gets really windy. Hout Bay is also a lovely spot for lunch. The HOHO bus stops at both.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hello Eileen, Thank you for your reply! I wil look into the HOHO bus AND check out the city bowl area. I am super excited to go to Cape Town!! and I am looking forward to seeing Robben Island and the crafts market. I was wondering about the car becuase I am really interested in visiting the caves and ostrich land!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hi VDC, thanks for your reply. we are flying from JNB to CPT.. after our CPT adventure, we are off to London and then to Miami! The reason why I was inquiring about renting a car was mainly becuase I am iterested in visiting the caves and seeing the ostriches. Do you think we can go for a day or two days up the Garden Route and come back to Cape Town? Also, in what area would you recommend for us to stay in? As mentioned before, we are the kind of peoplek who like everything (photograpy, walking, views, food, etc) Looking foward to tasting the South African flare =)

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Traveller from UK - Thanks for your reply!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need help planning an awesome itinerary!! - Cape Town!!!

Hi Jameslou, thank you for your reply. I will really consider staying in Camps Bay! and the HOHO bus is already a must for me! one question though, if I decide not to rent a car, how is the transportation from the airport into the city?? oh, and I can't wait to see Table Mountain!!!