We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breakdown in car rental ?

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
breakdown in car rental ?

We will be hiring a rental car in our forthcoming trip around the garden route and i was wondering what was the guidelines regarding the slight chance of a unfortunate break down ?

I,m obviously presuming the car,s are well maintained and this won,t happen but bearing in mind the personal safety issues , would be nice to know the best action plan .

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

Call the rental company.

If it is a reputable company like Avis, you should have no worries.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

I had an Avis brand new auto Chev Cruze and its gear box locked up day 2 of the trip and could only go 1st gear , at a pinch 2nd gear for short spurts luckily we limped into Nelspruit from out in the boonies. We had an interim manual vehicle supplied and were on our way to game lodge within 2 hrs. After that we collected a Mercedes C auto in Hoedspruit at no extra cost as a measure of goodwill. Go with the biggest. Avis is in every province in SA and has the most locations throughout. Also they have an emergency info pack in the glove box and the details are all there. Supposedly the tele # is manned 24/7 but our problem happened in day time so can't vouch for that part.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

All the major companies are fine. Avis, Hertz, Europcar, Thifty/Dollar, Budget, Imperial. I have rented with them all and not found one to be particularly better than another - although, fortunately I have not broken down with them all - lol! Most of them will have AA or equivalent roadside assistance, so even if they can't get to you themselves immediately they will get a mobile patrol to you. From personal membership I have found the South African AA to be even better than the UK AA.

You talk about "personal safety issues". To be honest I have usually found that when I have broken down and put out my triangle and switched on my hazards that you will get someone stop within minutes and offer to help. And often will help to get you going!

Edited: 24 January 2014, 14:19
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

We had a warning light come on at Buitenverwachting winery one lunch time. I phoned Avis & by the time we had finished our superb picnic the car had been collected & we had been left with an upgraded replacement.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

Thanks for the reply,s.

They all sound very reassuring , starting to think , just book with the best know companies , as car hire in south africa does,nt seem as expensive as some other countries .

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,930 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

We always use Avis and have had excellent service.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

That,s nice to hear , i,ll have a look at their website.... thank you ..

Just a thought .... i read somewere that you generally need to pay cash at petrol stations ? is this true or have things changed recently ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

We have had no problem with using our Visa card at any gas station. However, we found that the vast majority don't accept AmEx or Discovery.

Gas stations here are not self service. We normally "tip" the pump attendant about R10.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

That sounds ok .... thanks for that

10. Re: breakdown in car rental ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:17