We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cebu City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if Table Mountain and Lion's Head are good for my parents who are in their late 60s. The view is incredible but the hiking might be too much for them. They do easily get tired. How long does it take to get to the top? My mother is scared of heights too. I doubt she'll enjoy the cable car.

Thanks in advance. :)

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

I think she'd be okay in the cable car, which can carry up to 60 people. If your mother stands in the middle, she wouldn't be able to see how high she is. On the other hand, if she does look out, she may well enjoy the experience.

As for hiking, The rocky terrain would be difficult and coming back down, just as hard so, unless your parents are fit and are used to that kind of trek, I wouldn't advise it and you did say they tire easily.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

I'm 66 and my husband 72. As eileensays if you stand in the midde of the car you don't see the drop. It is fairly well paved up there, if a little uneven inplaces. My husband has a gammy leg but he had no difficulty and the views are exceptional. Please go. You will regret it if you dont

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

They certainly should not walk up. Its a long walk. The cable car is new, and very sturdy and really worth while going up (and down)

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

Thank you for the replies. :) I

think we'll just have to skip walking up. Doubt my mother would want to step into that cable car.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
148 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

It's not quite Table Mountain or Lions Head but you can get some great views of the city and table mountain from Signal hill which is accessible by car.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

if you go to Signal Hill, try to get there around midday to witness the noon gun being fired.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

I'd agree with the previous posters...

Hiking up Lion's Head or Table Mountain is a fantastic experience, if you're fit and willing to climb a bit. For those who tire easily, I'd strongly recommend to use the cable car. It is absolutely safe, and as others have said, you don't notice how high you are if you stand in the middle next to the "driver".

The views from the balustraded platforms up there are truly spectacular! And there are some lovely paths on top that require nothing more than average walking ability. There are a few steps close to the cable car station, but aside from that, it's really flat (hence the name...). And the almost pristine environment is really beautiful.

I do recommend going.

What time of year do you plan to be here? From November until April is best in terms of weather. It becomes rather cold and rainy from June til about September. But April, May, and the first part of June can be variable, some days it's magnificent, others it's stormy! Same applies to September and October and the first week or so of November.

If you want to visit the top of Table Mountain, I definitely urge you to do this in the morning. Try to be at the cable station by 08h00. Reason is simple, in summer (year end), the wind is usually light in the morning and becomes stronger towards afternoon. Strong SE wind almost always brings cloud to the top of Table Mountain, so you really want to go in the morning when it's clear. That said, many afternoons and evenings are spectacular up there! Check the weather forecast or ask a knowledgeable local... I say knowledgeable because the weather "down here" is VERY different to the weather "up there"...

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

Hello

Most definitely you want to head up Table Mountain, the views are spectacular.

There is not need at all for hiking, just go on the cable car. The paths at the top are very easy to stroll along, and from memory there are seats where you can stop and just take it all in.

The cable car just take a few minutes

Ok now I will admit I am not good with heights either and I guess I have to say I did not particularly enjoy the ride lol. But I did as others said and hung around with the other wusses in the middle of the car and looked straight up. Its just a few minutes, and it was fine on the way down.

It was worth it.

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
51 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

I am 53 y.o.and climbed (walking) Table Mountain on January 2nd... It was a tough climb, it was very sunny, it was very hot!!!

Unless your parents are really fit, I do not recommend to hike Table Mountain.

But the view up there is gorgeous, I sugest to get the cable car.

10. Re: Table Mountain and Lion's Head for seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:18