We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What neighborhoods to stay in in Cape Town in mid-March?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What neighborhoods to stay in in Cape Town in mid-March?

My girlfriend and I (early 30s) will be in Cape Town for 7 days/6 nights in mid-March. We're roughly planning on something like: 2-3 nights in Cape Town, 1-2 nights outside of the city (at least 1 in a wine town), and 2 nights back in Cape Town.

In Cape Town, we were thinking of spending the first couple nights in the V&A Waterfront, and the last couple nights in Camps Bay. However I'm concerned about these areas being a too touristy, and they don't seem too convenient to the city centre, or other neighborhoods such as Woodstock which have been recommended to me.

Just how touristy are these places? We'd like something nice and romantic, and being on the water seems great, but are these the "Times Square" of Cape Town?

Basically, if our goals are: exploring interesting and cute neighborhoods/shops/bars/cafes/restaurants while also being in a "nice" place, what's the best choice?

Would it make sense to stay a couple nights on the water, and a couple nights in the middle of the city?

Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
Lucky and Lost Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Cape Photographic Company
Photography Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What neighborhoods to stay in in Cape Town in mid-March?

I personally think the waterfront is touristy & noisy. For me a nice place to fit your description would be Kalk Bay.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What neighborhoods to stay in in Cape Town in mid-March?

Rather than moving about why not have 5 nights around Cape Town area then 2 nights in the Winelands.

Camps Bay and the V&A are only 10 minutes drive apart so it would be easier to base yourselves in one place.

Depending if you are having a car.

But the HOHO bus takes you around the area without any problems.

3. Re: What neighborhoods to stay in in Cape Town in mid-March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:18