We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Rental in July

Kingston, Jamaica
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long Rental in July

Hi, I'm planning for a long trip to Cape Town with friends July. I have been reading through the forums and researching online about places to stay.

Cape Town looks so beautiful, I am so anxious to start the trip.

I have noticed here in the forum and in other comments online that in some cases people seem to choose a rental based on information and pictures online, only to get to Cape Town and be told to something else and given a substandard alternative.

I am trying to choose reputable companies to arrange my accommodation. Can anybody comment on these two properties:

1. New Cumberland 504 via Capsol

2. Edward court 03 via J A property Management

Any advice is highly appreciated, thanks.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Rental in July

You should have a look at Clifton on sea.

Speak to Errol or Gavin, they are good!

Tell them June and Gavin in Joburg sent you :-)

http://cliftononsea.co.za/

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Rental in July

Hi,

Nox rentals in Camps Bay are well known. Be careful not to rent from someone who has not been recommended or where there have been no reviews.

In July you should be able to negotiate great rates, also at the Waterfront (see previous postings on Cape Town Forum).

You may also want to look at www.savenues.com.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Rental in July

Hi,

The pictures of those properties, online, look very glamorous. In fact New Cumberland and Edward Court are

old buildings in Mouille Point. Beware of staying on ground or first floors, anywhere, in view of security.

There is a lighthouse close by...when foggy, the foghorn blares! Consol and J.A. Properties are not well known companies.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 14:40
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Rental in July

I am a Realtor and special in selling apartments in the Mouille Point area (not rentals). I agree with Tourist GUide in that you need to be careful of ground floor apartments particularly in Edward Court which has little if no security. There is certainly none around the perimeter of the building although there is a security gate for access to the building which doesnt work half the time. I cannot find the New Cumberland one. Comparing both buildings - the position of Edward Court is better than New Cumberland but New CUmberland has better security. THey are both OLD buildings but then so are 99% of the buildings in Mouille Point. THere are several rentals in South Seas which is a newer building and lots in Westridge which also has 24hr security. I have heard of Capsol but noticed that JA PRoperties has the same agent (whom i have never heard of) advertising under lots of different agencies. As far as the fog horn is concerned, here i disagree with TG as they have moved the sound of the foghorn out to sea so you seem to hear it further away andits not as bad as it used to be in Mouille Point. Also its the middle of winter. There should be LOTS to choose from but Mouille Point as an area is good.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Rental in July

Suggest you make sure you rent an apartment that has 24 hour security, is not on the ground or first floor, has a view and that you work with a reliable agent. It can be very frustrating if an appliance breaks or something goes wrong and you have to have something repaired.

The apartments at the Waterfront are nice and there are some lovely ones in Camps Bay too. Bloomberg is a reliable agent.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Rental in July

I have checked out the apartment at New Cumberland on the web and it looks nicely furnished. HOWEVER just be aware that this is NOT a front facing apartment even though they make it out to be. It is a SIDE facing apartment and does have SIDE sea views.

Kingston, Jamaica
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Rental in July

Thanks so much for the information so far, it has been super helpful.

My friends and I are on a budget, ( less than 20,000 Rand / month) for a two bedroom two bathroom. So I guess we don't mind old buildings once they are safe, clean and comfortable.

A major concern is working with reliable agents and getting what we agreed on. But again thanks for all the input.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Rental in July

Hi,

In July (low season) you should easily be able to rent a stunning apartment for R20,000 a month.

Suggest you look at www.bantryplace.co.za.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Rental in July

capestays should be fine. Also village and life who do a lot at Westridge. She definitely should be able to get a 2bed 2 bath for under R20,000 for July as its winter and off season.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Rental in July

Hi,

I believe Capestays is an online site that lists various properties and takes no responsibility for their accuracy.