We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this do-able? Practical?

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
785 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Is this do-able? Practical?

I fly from California to Johannesburg and arrive a day before my first meeting in Johannesburg. First and probably only trip to SA. How do-able would it be to fly down to Cape Town and hire a guide for the day? I go to Kenya every year, so know what my energy level will be. Just want input on what would involved.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this do-able? Practical?

Do able.

Impractical imho

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this do-able? Practical?

I'm with Gavin. Marginally doable and mostly impractical. I'd advise against it.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this do-able? Practical?

When you say "input on what would be involved", what sort of things are you thinking of? Glancing at the list of your other posts you are obviously a very experienced traveller so you presumably don't want to know about flight durations or airport formalities and you probably have an idea of what you would want to see and do in CT?

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this do-able? Practical?

It's just about do-able but not many people would attempt it.

There'd be little point in landing in Cape Town much before 9am as the traffic from the airport into the City would be horrendous any earlier. As it's around a 2 hour flight, that's only really going to work if you stay at/very near Jo'burg airport.

You'd need to be clear what you would want to get out of your one day trip - and plan for different types of weather. Going up Table Mountain just isn't going to be a plan if there's a gale blowing. And if clouds and rain come in, you might not even be able to see much of it! Look at examples of different one-day tours online for ideas for an itinerary.

As for returning to Cape Town airport for the flight back to Jo'burg, again traffic will be an issue although it's more spread out in the evening than in the morning. You'd probably get an OK run to the airport leaving the city area from around 6pm with a flight departure of about 8pm. And be ready to fall into bed exhausted at the end of the day!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this do-able? Practical?

Its doable depending on the eta of your cal/jnb flight and what time you need to be back in joburg. Its a 2hr connection to cpt but you need to go thru customs and get your luggage which can also take another hour.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this do-able? Practical?

Of course it's doable & an opportunity not to be missed. Just the thrill of flying into CPT & seeing Table Mountain & the spectacular scenery of the surrounding wine growing areas will make the day worthwhile. It will inspire you for your meetings & make for a spectacularly successful business trip.

I agree with your opinion of Nairobi's Serena, great hotel in a perfect location. Enjoy your short visit to CT.

7. Re: Is this do-able? Practical?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:15