We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

We are leaving Sunday for Cape Town, staying at the Lawhill Apartments (next door to the One & Only Hotel and near the aquarium. We are a family including two teens. I have heard mixed opinions of whether it would be safe to walk back to our hotel at night from the waterfront. Please advise. Also, any recommendations for restaurants and not to miss activities for teens is greatly appreciated.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

We've stayed at a number of different apartment blocks at the Waterfront with our two children, most recently Lawhill (which we would definitely return to!)

We chose them specifically because it IS safe to walk back at night. We've never felt at all unsafe doing that walk and have done it numerous times.

Enjoy your trip!

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

Quite safe - the One & Only is quite close to the V&A, and lots of people around, including security personnel.

Huge choice of restaurants - My favourites are Baia, a sea food restaurant in the Mall, Panama Jacks another fish and seafood restaurant a short taxi drive away. There are a number of gourmet restaurants if your teenagers are up to that - Savoy Cabbage, Aubergine,

Lots to do - Ratatanga Junction may appeal to the teens, pirate ship cruise from the V&A - it all depends on what they like.

South Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

Thanks. My friends stayed at the Westin last year and were warned several times by hotel staff not to walk to hotel at night so I got scared.

Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

Hi Suzi

Westin is just outside the V&A perimeter where security is usually always posted. I agree with all of the other respondents that walking around the waterfront at night is safe should you stay right within the waterfront proper . Even though it is less than a 10 minute walk to the Westin, those staying there should consider utilizing the hotel's free shuttle after dark......Westin Capetown is an excellent 5 star luxury hotel with great rates and even finer location and views. For teens please allow me to suggest the cable car to the top of Table Mountain, the drive over Chapman's Peak, and nice times spent by the beaches a short distance away inn Bantry Bay.

Michael - Owner - Kanyezi Africa Safari

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

Michael. The Op is staying at law hill in the waterfront Not the Wesin . Yes it's pretty safe and very close. Willoubys is good for sushi and casual calamari soles good wines. BAIA excellent. Harbour House fish. Baldacci pizza pasta and salads.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

You will definately be ok when it comes to safety in anda round the Waterfront. Security at the Waterfront is very strict and on high alert at all times. Together with the walking patrol and with CCTV you will be just fine. Restaurants that you can check out is City Grill, Oceans Basket and also have a look at www.eatout.co.za for more info at the Waterfront and also www.waterfront.co.za for more options.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

We just got back from Cape Town. We felt very safe in the waterfront at night. Lots of security around.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

We just stayed at Lawhill and it was perfectly safe to walk to and from the Waterfront after dark. Just stay alert like anywhere else.

It's much better to walk along the water than along Dock Road, which can be quite busy with traffic. After exiting Lawhill through the back gate, keep the water on your right and the big buildings on your left until you get to the statues of the Nobel Peace Prize winners and the Victoria & Alfred Hotel. At that point you can cut to the left through the small mall in the V&A Hotel lobby and walk down a pedestrian path with shops toward the Ferris wheel and the heart of the Waterfront. At no time should you need to walk along side a road by going this route.

Another tip for staying at Lawhill: If you are returning by taxi after an outing and the driver has no idea where Lawhill is, just have them to drop you off at the One&Only and cut through the hotel lobby to get to the back entrance of Lawhill. This only works AFTER you've checked-in, though, because by that time you'll have a security key fob that will let you through the back gate. The first time you arrive, you do have to go through the main security gate of the apartments (the V&A Mariana Residential Bluffs Entrance) to be issued the key fobs as part of the check-in procedure. I'd recommend arranging a transfer through the apartments to get you from the airport since the procedure is a little confusing when you first arrive and a regular taxi driver may not have dealt with it in the past.

Lots of options at the Waterfront for food within walking distance. Reuben's at the One&Only is nice for dinner and a good intro to upscale South African cuisine. Willoughby & Co. is way overrated. The V&A Market on the Wharf food hall has lots of great choices for cheap lunch eats. If you decide to use your self-catering facilities, there's a Pick n Pay supermarket in the basement of the big mall where you can get groceries.

Newlands, South...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

At this time of year I'd be more worried about getting battered by wind and rain to be honest. It's bleeding freezing at the minute, but apparently next week is going to be warmer, pack warmly just in case.

The waterfront has loads of eating options from pub grub at Ferrymans to the classy likes of Sevruga. My personal favourites are The City Grill, the Ocean Basket ( a chain restaurant for budget seafood, really good value for money, I do prefer the one on Kloof street though a 10 min drive from the waterfront ), Balduccis which is an Italian restaurant but has just about everything on their menu and Belthazar for great steak and a fantastic wine list.

Outside the waterfront visit Nelson's Eye for the greatest steak you will ever try , or The Firemans Arms, 10 min walk from Lawhill apartments and one of the oldest pubs in South Africa, great atmosphere, friendly staff and a selection of delicious traditional English pub food and local cuisine.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking at the V & A Waterfront. Is it safe at night.

" It's bleeding freezing at the minute." Is it? I've just come back from watching the game at newlands. 1st half bright sunshine then dark for rest of game but only wore a casual sweater over thickish shirt. But concede some June/July/August days in CT can be pretty ordinary. Newlands has esp high rainfall.