We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

Ahmedabad, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

I am planning to visit Cape Town in second week of Dec 2014 with my wife. I have read on different forums about Camps Bay and other places. If any one can help me with below questions that will really be helpful:-

PS: I am planning to spend 8 nights in 4-5 star property(As I am wrting this, my wife states that she will prefer 5 star ;-))

1. What will be the best place to start the journey:- Capetown, Camps Bay or any other place?

2. How many places should I cover in these 8 days? I dont want it to be hectic so suggestions on best places that should be seen, will really be appreciated!!

3. What are the domestic travel arrangments? and How far these places might be from each other? Any approximate information will work.

4. Will it be a off or On season?

5. Any suggestions on Do's or Don'ts about local market?

Thanks in advance!!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

December is high and peak season for travellers in South Africa. You will have domestic travellers as well as interntional travellers. Our schools will have closed down for the summer and everybody is having fun and enjoying the very good summer weather.

You can stil get away with a lot with proper planning and yes it ieasy to get yourself around. The best way that i always receommend to get to know the City is via the Hop on Hop off bus, www.citysightseeing.co.za by exploring the City,Table Mountain and loads of places of interest.

For accommodation in Camps Bay, i can recommend The Bay Hotel and also Camps Bay Retreat which are both 5star places and it puts you right in the middle of Camps Bay. Easy travelling to the City Center as well as The Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.

Depending if you will be selfdriving or making use of a local tour operator, all the sightseeing places will be within easy driving distance from Camps Bay. You have sightseeing places like: Table Mountain, Robben Island, The Waterfront, City Center which can mostly be covered by the Hop on Hop off bus and then off course further down south you have Cape Point with Cape of Good Hope and also Cape Point Light House with visits along the way at the Penguins at Bolders Beach, Simons Town, Seal Island boat trip in Houtbay and loads more.

Further then you have the Wine Lands for tasting at places such as Stellenbosch, Franschoek and also Paarl and then even further you can do shrak cage diving in Gansbaai and also safari within a day trip. All of these can be done on day trips with a driving time of about 3hrs to get to the destination.

Hope the info helps and please ask away with anymore questions, everyboday is on standby to assist with your journey to Cape Town. All the best!!

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

Hi Vicky,

Camps bay is part of Cape Town.

I would suggest stay 7 night in Cape Town only and explore things around. I would definitely suggest a day trip to Ghansbaai for shark cage diving. Cape Town has lovely beaches. Spend one or 2 days relaxing at waterfront and beach. You can do day trip to Cape Point and wine lands. 2 days can be spent exploring city by HOHO.

Fly in and out of Cape Town. For day trips can self drive or use one of the tour operators. Local sightseeing is easy by taxi and HOHO bus.

It will be peak season.

For local market I would suggest Green market square for souvenirs. I would also suggest to visit Old Biscuit Mill on Saturday morning. They have so many vendors selling all types of food. Atmosphere is lovely.

If you need any thing feel free to PM me.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 15:13
London england
Level Contributor
249 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

We were in Cape Town for 6 nights in total. We decided to stay 3 nights at the Mt Nelson, which we can highly recommend, and, for a different vibe, 3 nights at the Bay Hotel, Camps Bay. It was lovely to walk on the beach before breakfast. We had a hire car, so drove from Camps Bay to Kirstenbosch, with a stop at Table Mountain as the cable car was open. Do a day trip to Cape Point and a trip to the Winelands. Another worth while place was District Six Museum, coupled with a township tour. We also enjoyed a night at Gold Restaurant, with the early drumming session.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

Camps Bay is a nightmare to navigate in summer. You need to consider that. That's the time for school holidays and since the beach is easy to get to from the roadside "everybody" goes there.

Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

As Hank & Capensis says, that particular time in Cape Town it's hectic, False Bay is the same, a simple 5 min journey would take ½ hr.

6. Re: Visit to Cape Town in December 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question