We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amakhala vs Lalibela

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
13 posts
Save Topic
Amakhala vs Lalibela

Hi,

Thanks for your advices on the safari trip planning. I have booked the air and now have narrowed down to 2 reserves - Amakhala and Lalibela. Amakhala is a bit closer to Port Elizabeth and the accommodations (Bush and Bukela) seem to be very nice at a great discount right now. However, Lalibela promptly replies my email and answers my questions so I feel more welcomed. I'd like your advices again on these two in areas such as game drives (which place provides a better opportunity to view animals) and the lodge itself. Or are they equally good? Thanks very much in advance for your great recommendations again.

Kathy

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amakhala vs Lalibela

Bukela gets my vote it is a lovely lodge with just 4 individual suites, i am not sure why the are slow to answer mails but the staf at the lodge are great.

I think the game viewing on Amakhala is also better.

Colin Owner Eastcapetours

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amakhala vs Lalibela

We haven't stayed at Amakhala but enjoyed Lalibela very much. Lentaba lodge was ideal for us with no children. Welcome, food and hospitality were great. We saw 4 of 5 "big five". It is our only experience of safari but we loved the fact that it was malaria free, you left your car at the reception area where they parked it for you and took youtout to your lodge. We will try another at some stage but for a first example it was really good.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amakhala vs Lalibela

Hi Kathy,

No real expertise which reserve might be better, but this is going to be hard to find out, because almost nobody other than tour agents will have been to both, so I would take Colin's word.

However, I would like to congratulate you for having made a fast decision for a private reserve in the Eastern Cape, you won't regret it. My wife's first safari was there and she fell in love with it. We have been to Kruger, Sabi Sand and Chobe in Botswana after that (I have been to Masa Mara in Kenya before), but there is something special about the first safari and the Eastern Cape is a good introduction.

As you browse the reviews of both, you will see that most people loved both, so it is a win/win dilemma. Anyways, enjoy your time, and don't forget that we love" just back" reports. I, and I guess many others, would like to know how things went.

Have a good time and good luck for your son!

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amakhala vs Lalibela

Hi Kathy,

Don't want to be a nudnik, but you'll be thankful for this. Bring winter gear to your safari drives (hat, scarf, gloves and winter jacket) - you'll be amazed how cold African winter mornings are while sitting in an open safari vehicle. Dress in layers, it'll get warmish pretty fast during the drive.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 08:33
5. Re: Amakhala vs Lalibela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:17