We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

I will be in Cape Town for 3 days in early July. The first day I will be touring the cape peninsula -- Hout Bay, Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, Boulders Beach, Cape Point, and Kirstenbosch Gardens. On the second day I'll be visiting Table Mountain in the morning and the V&A waterfront in the afternoon and a sunset cruise. I'm still trying to decide what to do on the third day, and any recommendations will be appreciated. I don't drink wine, so am not really interested in the winelands tours, and I've read a lot of negative reports about the trip to Robben Island so I don't think I will do that. I like beautiful scenery and unique cultural experiences. I am considering a tour which goes to Cape Agulhas and then back along the coast through Hermanus, Kleinmond, and Bettys Bay. I will not have a car to drive anywhere on my own. It is unlikely that I will ever be able to return to Cape Town, so I want to make the most of the few days that I have. Any advice is welcome and very much appreciated.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

I would recommend beautiful scenic drive from Cape Town to Hermanus via Gordon's Bay and Clarens Drive.

The scenery is spectacular and whale watching in Hermanus would be at its best. Cape Agulhas would be too far. Suggest you contact Cheryl Robertson as a private tourist guide - email address is: fcwallace@worldonline.co.za.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

Thanks for your response. The date would be July 7. Would there be whales then? I had read that it might be too early and that the best whale watching wouldn't start until late August or September.

3. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 21:12
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

If you go out in one of the whale watching boats which depart from the New Harbour, you should definitely see whales. Have a look at www.southernrightcharters.co.za.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

I like the idea of your tour to Agulhas, just hope it's not a wet day.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

Yes, the weather is a big factor! I'd like to plan for this 3rd day, but also am wondering if I should just leave it "open" in case the weather is bad on the 2nd day and I'm not able to get to the top of Table Mountain then. Wish I had more than 3 days in Cape Town!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

Whilst it might be raining in Cape Town it may not be raining further up the coast to Agulhas. Best have a few plans that can be switched & get detailed weather forecast for each day as you go.

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

We were in Cape Town late May. Table mountain is well worth a trip, the only thing is that the weather can be iffy. We had planned to go the first day, the hotel concierge called to see if it was open and we drove up there only to find that the weather had changed and it was closed. The next two days it was completely under the clouds. Luckily on the very last day the clouds cleared and we were able to get up there. So my advice would be to be flexible and squeeze Table mountain in when the weather is good.

I know that there have been some bad reviews on Robben Island. We did the tour and were glad we did.

9. Re: Need advice for 3rd day in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17