We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

We are a couple visiting SA on 10th January '15 starting in Cape Town and ending in Port Elizabeth on safari. Our itinerary is 10th - 15th in Cape Town, then 2 nights in George and 2 nights in Plettenburg Bay. Our intentions is to use George and Plettenburg Bay as a base and travel round. Given our itinerary could you please advise if you believe it is preferable to take a flight from Cape Town to George. Also what is the must see whilst in George and Plettenburg Bay. We are not adrenalin junkies but like nature and places of beauty and interest.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

Personally, I think Knysna would be a better base than George which is more of a commercial hub.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

I would agree that Knysna would be more central. In fact I would incorporate the intention to stay at Plet and settle all your nights in Knysna. This obviates packing in /out and checking in/out leaving more time to holiday and see things. Plet is close to Knysna and you would have wonderful excursions up to say Stormsriver.

I recommend you drive to Knysna via the R62 route to Oudtshoorn and then cross over to George and then to your overnight stop. The R62 has lovely passes, folded mountain scenery and rural towns. If you leave Ctn early you can easily be in Oudtshoorn mid day, visit the caves, etc and in the afternoon do you final leg to your destination.

If you have explores the Garden route as indicated, you could then consider flying from George to PE. But the drive is also okay with excellent road.

WK

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

I would also suggest that you base yourself in Knysna instead of George, much more closer to more things to do and to see. A flight from Cape Town to George will take about 45mins and when you drive it will take about between 4-6hours. I would go with WK as well by suggesting to drive along Route 62 and maybe spend a night or 2 in Oudtshoorn and then head down to Knysna for the rest of your stay.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

Thank you for your feedback - the hotels are all booked so we cannot move to Knysna. Your feedback has convinced us to drive now instead of flying - just need to plan what we do whilst travelling and in the area.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

It is also fine if everything is booked along the way. You can still drive from Cape Town via Route 62 and still overnight in George. Please make a stop in Montagu and have coffee or an early lunch at The Rambling Rose. Then you can drive straight from Montagu to George and also do a day trip from George to Oudtshoorn in one of the days that you have. And from Plettenburg Bay you can also explore Knysna and the rest of Tsitsikamma.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

Thank you Hank - great advise - Rambling Rose is on my place for lunch.

7. Re: Cape Town to Port Elizabeth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16