We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Which Cape Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lorton, Virginia
Level Contributor
83 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

So I'll be on a cruise round-tripping out of CapeTown next year which include a sightseeing day and overnight in Cape Town the last day/night of the cruise. However, given how much really cool stuff there is to do in Cape Town and the surrounding area, I can't see everything I want to see in that time frame. So I'm planning to arrive a couple of days early to see the rest of the stuff I want to. But as I've made the list and divided it into days, I'm worried it's too ambitious. So I'm looking for some feedback.

As you consider your feedback please take into consideration that I am a leasurely type tourist -- not a rush-rush see everything in a day type tourist. For example I've been to Europe several times and enjoy using the Rick Steves tour books -- however, I almost always take a suggested day and turn it in to two days and then I'm happy with the pace. Also the cruise ship docks at noon for the third days of touring -- so I really don't know if that's doable.

Day 1 – Cape Tour

o Ride Funicular to top of Cape Point and see lighthouse

o Drive the Gifkommetjie Circular Drive

o Visit Tidal pools at Bordjiesdrift

o Visit Cape Hope Ostrich Farm

o Visit African Penguin colony at Foxy Beach or Boulders Beach

o See Simon’s Town and Walk Historic Mile

o Visit Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden and Table Mountain

Day 2 – Robben Island and V&A Waterfront

o Visit Nelson Mandela Gateway museum at Ferry terminal

o Visit Robben Island

o Visit 2 Oceans Aquarium

o Visit Craft Market and Wellness Center

o Visit the Cape Town Diamond Museum

Day 3 (starting at noon) - Cape Town City Center Sights

o Visit the Company’s Garden including Iziko Salve Lodge, St George’s Cathedral, Rose Garden and South African National Gallery (?), South African Jewish Museum

o Visit District Six Museum

o Visit Castle of Good Hope

o Visit Gold of Africa Museum

o Visit Bo-Kaap Museum and the Malay Quarter

o Visit Michaelis Collection www.iziko.org.za

o Visit Greenmarket Square Craft market

So do able in three days -- or should I plan for 4? And if 4 how should I split it up.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review and provide input.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Hi IndiTravler

Your day 1 is a bit much for one day as they are not in close proximity as say the things you want to do on day 2 and 3. Is four days the maximum you can go? I feel this is way too many things to fit into 3 days, even 4 would be pushing it. Your day 3 starting at noon means you only have 5 - 6 hours to do all the things you have listed. You can easily spend up to 3 hours just in the Gardens and Gallery alone. if you had 4 days I would have done it like this:

Day 1 – Cape Tour

o See Simon’s Town and Walk Historic Mile

o Visit African Penguin colony at Foxy Beach or Boulders Beach

o Ride Funicular to top of Cape Point and see lighthouse

o Drive the Gifkommetjie Circular Drive

o Visit Tidal pools at Bordjiesdrift

o Visit Cape Hope Ostrich Farm

Day 2 -

o Visit Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden and Table Mountain

Day 3 – Robben Island and V&A Waterfront

o Visit Nelson Mandela Gateway museum at Ferry terminal

o Visit Robben Island

o Visit 2 Oceans Aquarium

o Visit Craft Market and Wellness Center

o Visit the Cape Town Diamond Museum

Day 3 (starting at noon) - Cape Town City Center Sights

o Visit the Company’s Garden including Iziko Salve Lodge, St George’s Cathedral, Rose Garden and South African National Gallery (?), South African Jewish Museum

o Visit District Six Museum

Day 4

o Visit Castle of Good Hope

o Visit Gold of Africa Museum

o Visit Bo-Kaap Museum and the Malay Quarter

o Visit Michaelis Collection www.iziko.org.za

o Visit Greenmarket Square Craft market

I hope this helps a bit...now if you had 5 days then it would have been perfect ;)

Edited: 02 September 2014, 00:54
Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,625 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

I agree that Steve's suggestion is a more manageable schedule. Kirstenbosch Gardens would take up most of a day to tour it properly. I like your approach to tourism. You can't fit everything in Cape Town into 3 or 4 days, so pick the items of greatest interest and give them the most time.

If you're up to a bit of a hike, and have the time, it is beautiful to walk the trail out to the overlook above the lower lighthouse at the point. Another "must" for many people is Chapman's Peak Drive, which can be done either going to or returning from the Cape.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Featherwings, I totally forgot to add Chapmans Peak. It is a must yes.

I was at Cape Point twice in August and it seems not a lot of people know (or maybe they dont fancy the walk) about the lower lighthouse. It is a great walk. The view back up to the lighthouse on the cliffs are really spectacular.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Hi,

I`ve planned 3 or 4 days for CT and Cape halfisland

we are planing a trip around CT. too. May I pleaes ask some questions here ?

Is one day enough for the cape-Halfisland ? Or is it recommendable to overnight somewhere inbetween ?

On the 4 th day we have to be at the airport at 4:30 p.m. I´ve booked Robben islands at 9 a.m. at the 4 th. What else can we do on the last day ?

Can you plese help me to put the itinerary together ?

Thanks

Jan

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

you should fit in the Table Mountain cable car at the first opportunity as it can sometimes be closed for days if cloudy or windy. When I was there a few years ago it had been closed for 4 days and it didn't help that there was a massive cruise ship in also, the queues were horrendous. If you book your ticket on their website you will go to a special ticket booth where the queses ,if any ,will be much shorter than the kiosk selling tickets on the day.

You could drop sightseeing that is available at home such as the Aquarium, it is very good but you may have great aquariums near your home. My family didn't think it was as good as the London Aquarium.

Read the reviews on Robben Island, last year there were many complaints about the boats used. Also, remember the trip is also weather dependent, so perhaps fit that in a.s.a.p

You don't mention if you are hiring a car or using the HOHO bus. If you are self driving, don't miss driving the whole peninsular taking in Camps Bay, Hout bay and Chapman's Peak drive ( check if it is open though). On our last visit the rain had washed away some of the road and it was closed for repairs.

cape town
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Hi Jan. Half Island is a Peninsula- Halb Insel auf Deutsch. You are translating directly. I think most people may not understand what you have written. Jacqui of Cape by Design Tours

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Aha! Now I know what he meant. Thanks Jacqui :)

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Oooooohhhh sorry, didn't now that Peninsula Merans Half ;))))

I

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Sorry, means

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a reality check on a proposed itinerary

Also Keep in mind that though they say Robbin Island is only a couple of hours, it can take a while. I guess I went on a windier day and it took one hour to get out there and nearly and hour to get back in addition to the 2.5 hour tour.