We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Topic
New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

Has anyone eaten at this new restaurant yet...would love to hear about it. Won't be back in Cayman until early December but will want to give this a look.

Also.......the store that sells wine/beer, etc. is still there, right?

Thanks!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

I missed this post last month while we were there, but we ended up not having a chance to try the restaurant after all. Now that I'm heading back, I'm wondering if anyone has tried it in the meantime. In any event we'll probably give it a try or two over the next couple of weeks. (And I'm sure you saw that the liquor store is still there. There's also a new Subway at the Reef.)

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

It is called the Italian Kitchen. The initial reviews are positive and seem credible fwiw. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1722406-d…

Probably won't have a chance to try it next trip, but will report back if we do.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
896 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

I'm sure we'll end up there in February, and will report then.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

Excellent! And pretty cool about the delivery service. I'm sure we'll be taking advantage of that!!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

Will likely try the place next month when staying at The Reef and will post a review.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

Well......my "East End expert" title should be taken away from me...with apologies, we were just there the week of Dec.6-13th and I haven't posted anything since we returned from our Cayman paradise. Let me tell you, once you get into your 60's, are in the place you love and are there in early December with warm weather, blue skys, palm trees swaying in the winds, rum punch all day, Barefoot music in your ears.....and then return home when it's all of a sudden mid December with only ONE weekend left before Christmas and not a single cookie baked..........well, let's just say the transition isn't as smooth nor were you as rested as you thought!!!

The Italian Kitchen is small...they took over that jewelry shop that was in the strip mall and I don't know if it was the Olde English Bakery or something else, but they combined two spaces.

We went one night and each ordered sauteed calamari (we do not like the usual fried calamari becaue we don't get much calamari flavor) and it was wonderful! Not overcooked, flavorful and yummy. $9.00 CI for a good portion. We also each ordered a pizza...hubby got Kalamata olive, potato, leeks, asiago cheese and thyme pizza for $14.00 CI and we were told that they were individual portions.....there were, in fact, four good size pieces per pizza. I ordered the Genovese with pesto, goat cheese and roasted tomato and they both were delicious. Mine too was $14.00.......we brought the two pieces apiece back to the Reef for later on.

The wine was expensive....$10 CI per glass! I drink way more than one glass but for that price, decided to have a little water and have wine back at the condo...don't mean to be cheap, but good grief, you could buy a bottle of decent wine next door for the price we paid for two glasses.

From that night on, we called in a take-out order so we could both sit on the balcony to enjoy our food and not have to pay high wine prices.

The ambience is nice, waitstaff very friendly. Think the menu is online but they have conch fritters with tomato arrabbiata sauce (good, a bit spicy) as an app, as well as crispy artichoke hearts with shaved parm and lemon aioli...good and a few salads like Caprese, Caesar and field greens...in addition to beef carpaccio with arugula and fried capers, etc.

they have about 10 pasta dishes but we found most of them very heavy, with cream sauces...you know, Alfredo, pesto cream sauce, Carbonara but they also have a veal pasta and a couple seafood pastas as well as plain old angel hair with fresh tomato and basil and spaghetti with meatballs in a tomato sauce. Pasta prices range from $12 CI for the angel hair dish to $30 CI for the lobster tail with angel hair pasta in a garlic lemon oil. Bread is extra....asked the waitress about that and she said they didn't want to serve the usual bread that people don't eat (what people?) so they make it fresh and you can order either garlic knots warm from the oven with asiago and parsley $2.00CI or Ciabatta with garlic parsley butter..same price.

didn't try desserts but heard rave reviews about the Bananas Foster Creme Brulee with rum soaked bananas...that would've been my first choice...but they also have a chocolate mousse with caramel sauce a sticky toffee pudding and traditional creme brulee. Desserts were $9 CI...all of them. They also charge $4.00 for split plates.

Well, now that I've made myself both completely hungry and nostalgic, that's all she wrote. :) Sorry for the lateness of the review though.

Celine

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

Thanks for all the detail, Celine. I think the Italian Kitchen is going to become one of local favorites! I've already booked flights for two and a half months worth of visits between next week and the end of June, so I expect we'll be able to try pretty much everything on the menu. ;-) It all sounds great.

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

Sounds delightful ! Will definitely try it in the spring !

Thanks for the detailed report.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

Calling in a take-out order sounds like a good idea. Heard the place was small and getting seating for 5 could be a challenge.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Italian restaurant at Morritt's shopping centre

you're all welcome...and yes, the place is small. It opens for dinner at 4:30 and closes.....hmmm, I can't remember but I think the waitress said 10:00 and earlier if they are slow but don't hold me to that. We went early and there was enough seating but it was starting to fill up when we left....really would almost always rather be sitting on our balcony at the Reef anyway so that combined with expensive wine, made our decision easy. :)

Get answers to your questions about East End