We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morrits Tortuga next February

Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Morrits Tortuga next February

Wondering if the wind people post about is unbearable or unpleasant? Will be traveling with my 80 year old parents, who like it "nice and hot"! Also, could we manage without a car if we weren't interesting in exploring much of the island? My parents will be hanging out poolside all week, enjoying the view of the sea from a distance, since they don't get around real good, while the rest of the family (including a 16 and 11 year old) plan on doing some snorkeling trips. Would you consider the resort to be "handicapped friendly"? Any input would be appreciated!

White Sand Water Sports
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Equipment Hire, Scuba & Snorkeling
ECO Rides Cayman
Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, Eco Tours
Ocean Frontiers
Scuba & Snorkeling
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

You might also add a question about the construction that will be going on there.

Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

Is there a lot of construction going on...and would it be intrusive to our vacation?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

During the winter months the prevailing winds can be strong. We have had many dive trip on the EE cancelled because of conditions. I have also gone out but the walk along the beach has been with the sand biting a bit in the wind. Do the parents was to sit out on the beach? If sitting out is the big thing for them, I would choose a spot along Northern SMB where you will have the best of both worlds. Staying out east without a car is not something I would do. A good friend used to be a concierge out there and said she spent most of her time getting cars for people who were forwarned but decided they didn't need one. Especially going at a time when conditions might not be great, you will want the car to spots where the snorkeling, etc., is more user friendly. However, weather is always fickle and you might end up having a perfect week.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
940 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

As retrip said, the wind on the East End can be strong at that time of year. You can expect winds to steadily be around 7-10 mph, and often higher - some days it might blow 20 mph+ all day.

That said, whether it is unbearable is in the eye of the beholder - having grown up and lived in a breezy coastal community all my life, a 20 mph wind doesn't bother me in the least, nor does swimming in rolling seas or whitecaps. I actually found a couple of windless days last September to be a bit weird albeit great for snorkeling. Others think 10 mph winds are excessive.

And ditto on the car. Snorkeling in front of Morritt's and The Reef Resort is fun with plentiful fish, but if you plan on checking out other snorkel spots (see Testudo's Guide, link below) you will absolutely want a car. A car will also make it possible for you to dine out away from the resort.

As for handicapped friendly, you should contact Morritt's directly to find out whether any areas are not accessible, but from what I recall it doesn't look as though it would be difficult for people to navigate the resort in wheelchairs etc.

www.snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

Edited: 27 May 2012, 16:06
Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

Thanks for the input. In regard to the wind, we were in Cabo last March, and had fantastic weather. Looking at the weather data from the week, it averaged around 15 mile an hour winds all week. I didn't consider it a horribly windy week---so I'm thinking the wind on the East End may not be a big deal for us?????

The vacation club my parents belong to don't offer any resorts on the Seven Mile Beach end of the island...Morrits is our only option if we choose to travel to the Cayman Islands. We are still deciding on our destination!

Mentioned in this post
Seven Mile Beach
Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman
TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

There is a rental car agent in the lobby of Morritt's. I think hours are 9-4 most days and they have a 2 day minimum rental.

You can also contact McCurley's Car Rental. They are located at the airport and will provide transportation to Morritt's and have a rental car waiting for you there - if you decide to rent for a week. They will also take you back to the airport if driving back and forth to the East End area is a concern.

Contact BA at:

mccurley@candw.ky

with your arrival / departure info and the size of your group if you are interested . She will send you a quote.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
940 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

There are plenty of rental car options. I use Andy's but there are others right at the airport.

I would however just pick up the car upon landing. The $40 a head it costs to get driven from the airport to Morritt's times 6 people in your party is about a third the cost of renting a minivan for the whole week.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

You cannot compare winter winds (or any weather systems) in Cabo and the Carib. They are completely different from a topograpical and geographical standpoint. I am not familiar with Cabo but would guess that the Pacific Ocean has more impact. It is winds coming east out of the Atlantic that affect the Carib islands. In addition Cabo is protected by a big land mass rather than a big body of water to its East. May be totally wrong on my thoughts, but you might want to look into it!

9. Re: Morrits Tortuga next February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about East End