We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

Hi: Couple more days until we leave. We'll be spending a week in the Westpunt area. I understand we should buy our food in town before getting to our condo. I'm under the impression that's it will be super hot, and that it takes awhile to drive from place to place.

What do people do with their perishables between the supermarket near Willemstad and Westpunt? The car will be air conditioned, but I don't like to have it freezing. Is that enough to prevent spoiling, or should we buy some ice at the store?

Also, will there be anywhere to buy fresh fish near Westpunt?

Thanks,

Kay

8 replies to this topic
Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
464 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

Hi there,

Just make sure you drive for about 10 seconds with the windows down to get all the hot air out of the car. After that it should be fine with the AC on. If you really want something to keep them cooler, consider bringing or buying an isolated pouch. I know Goisco sells them, not sure about the other supermarkets.

You can buy fresh fish at Playa Piskado in westpunt, but you need to head over there early in the morning though.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Francis

Aruba
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

You really have to use a cooler to take meat & cheese from the supermarket to your condo, otherwise it will be bad by the time you put it in the fridge.

Most supermarkets sell plastic insulated cooling bags, which work very well. You can also buy a small bag of ice cubes at the supermarket. They are easy for your drinks, but also help keeping your groceries cool during the way to your condo.

Have a safe trip & a great time!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

Thanks for your replies. I knew I could count on TA!! I have a couple of soft sided coolers that should work, otherwise we'll do as suggested.

K

Sabana Westpunt...
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

You will be fine without coolers. I assume you are shopping at Centrum. Just drive to Westpunt, and you will be good.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

We have 2 canvas "soft" insulated cooler bags. They tuck easily on the top of clothes in a suitcase. When we land (whichever island) we just take them out to have ready for the first grocery stop. Easy and worry free. Plus we like having one along to keep in the rental car for cold water, on the beach for cold beer etc!

Edson, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

There is also a supermarket in Barber called the California Super Market that has a pretty good selection, if you wanted to buy your perishables closer to Westpunt, also Playa Grandi you can buy fresh fish there from the fishermen, who usually arrive after three with their catch. This is also a great time to snorkel at that beach if you want to see turtles, there are about nine different resident turtles there. Have a great holiday.

Aruba
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

California Super Market is in Tera Kora, not in Barber.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping

This post is a year old.

Reply to: Couple last minute questions, fish and food shopping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sabana Westpunt