We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

Here
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

Can one of the kind Venice experts help me understand the diference between between Veniceconnected.com and Venicelink.com?

Veniceconnected offers a 72 hr transportation pass for 28 euros and an alilaguna ticket for 12 euros from the airport to city center. They don’t appear to offer private taxi transfers.

Venicelink has the private taxi transfers to a hotel (which I want). Their shortest alilaguna pass is 72 hours for 45 euros, although it includes a tour of the islands. I don't think they offer a "transportation pass".

Are the aliaguna passes for the same company? Does this refer to the valparetto? Is the Venicelink alilaguna pass the same as the Veniceconnected 72 hour transportation pass? I am trying to understand the whole system of transportation within Venice.

I planning to use a private water taxi transfer from the airport to our hotel (there are three of us - mid 50s and earl 60s - and we will have enough luggage we want to go directly to the Hotel Becher where we are staying). In addition I am trying to consider my options for tickets for transportation and access to attractions like the Palazzo Ducale and Campanile di San Marco sometimes during the time we will be in Venice.

Can anyone help ease my confusion?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,944 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

VeniceConnected is run by the City of Venice. VeniceLink appears to be run by the Alilaguna ferry company.

The transport passes sold by VeniceConnected cover the services of the main Venice public transport operator, ACTV. This includes all the vaporetto (water bus) services plus buses on Lido and the ACTV bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma. They do not include the Alilaguna ferries or the AVTO coach to Piazzale Roma. However, you can buy Alilaguna tickets as an extra from this web site.

The transport passes sold by VeniceLink cover only the Alilaguna services and, in my opinion, are not very useful.

Alilaguna and ACTV are separate companies. Both companies' services are shown on the clear diagram at hellovenezia.com/jspvenezia/…muoversi.pdf

If you want a private water taxi from the airport to central Venice, there is no need to book in advance. There is a desk in the arrivals hall at Marco Polo airport where this can be arranged. All water taxis charge the same rate, and it will cost around €100.

For transport around Venice, get the ACTV pass through VeniceConnected. There is no museum pass that includes the Campinale: buy tickets for the Palazzo and Campinale as you go there.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

Briefly ,Venice Connected is the pass you want want for Vaporetti (Water Buses) around Venice also covers going to the Islands,

Although Alilaguna do a pass they are basically a service to and from the Airport, not for use in Venice,

Venice link part of Alilaguna, do Private and shared Water Taxis from the Airport

For a tried and tested WaterTaxi Service,

www.motoscafivenezia.it

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

Not so briefly, but a bit more detailed:

VeniceConnected.com and VeniceLink.com are both *RESELLERS* of other companies' products and services.

There is some overlap of which services of which companies each sells, as well as a number of products and services available only at one or the other.

ACTV provides the municipal public transportation vaporetti service (sometimes called water buses) around the islands of Venice and in the lagoon, as well as "traditional" wheeled land bus service on the mainland and Lido, but *DOES NOT* arrive to the Venice Marco Polo airport by water, only via a land bus which leaves from Piazzale Roma. It sells Tourist Travel Cards allowing free transit on its network of various durations, from 12 hours to 7 days. The ACTV vaporetto network travels along the Grand Canal and the Cannaregio Canal and around the outside of the main islands of Venice, as well as to a number of outlying islands and the Lido, with dozens and dozens of stops. It is what most people use to get around Venice as necessary.

Alilaguna runs a number of vaporetto water lines between the airport and the Venetian islands and Lido. They also organize a number of "Excursions and tours" that are typical tourist tours with and without guide and with varying schedules and destinations. They also have a time based ticket which allows free use of the Alilaguna boats during the 72 hours of validity, and also includes one of the Alilaguna tour excursions to the outlying islands of the lagoon. Since the Alilaguna network of lines and stops is much more limited than the ACTV network, this has limited value except in some specific cases. It may be worth for someone staying on Lido and needing to travel almost exclusively back and forth to Murano, for example, but in general it is not what a tourist is looking for.

VeniceConnected.com sells, at a discount, ACTV Tourist Travel Cards (calling them "Public Transport Tickets" but they are the exact same thing resold under a slightly different name, issued in the end by the exact same company and spit out by the same ticket machines). VeniceConnected.com also sells *SOME* of the available Alilaguna tickets for round trip (return) and one way journeys between the airport and the city centre islands and Lido, and between the city centre and the maritime port (cruise terminal), at a slight discount. VeniceConnected also sells other services as well, such as toilet passes, museum passes and WiFi access provided by other companies.

VeniceLink sells some of the Alilaguna tickets, including *SOME* of the airport transfer options between the airport and the city islands and Lido, at a slight discount. It also sells some of the Alilaguna tours and excursions at a discounted price. In addition, it sells shared and private transfer using the motorboat style water taxis between the airport and the city centre.

Neither reseller sells all of the Alilaguna tickets. The transfer from the Airport to Murano, for example, costs only €6.50 if purchased at the Alilaguna ticket window, but is unavailable on-line at any price.

Both have specific instructions, restrictions and regulations for the collection and use of the services paid for.

Here
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

Thank you all - NOW I understand.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

Good that you now know how it all works,

6. Re: Veniceconnected.com versus Venicelink.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 05:19