We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip options near Venice

Buffalo, New York
10 posts
Save Topic
Trip options near Venice

We will be finishing a trip from Rome, Florence and Venice in early July. After three days in Venice we have about 5 days left before flying back. We were hoping to ferry to Croatia as a last leg and ferry back to Venice to fly out. However we are finding the cost much too high in Croatia in this season. Any suggestions as to where we could spend the last 5 days in this general area? As there are 6 of us, train travel preferred.

Thanks very much for any help!

Rosty

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,637 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip options near Venice

Should you be flying home from Venice, how about lake Garda.

Take the train to Densenzano del Garda www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.gardainforma.com

Ferry www.navigazionelaghi.it

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip options near Venice

I think that is a good suggestion, Lake Garda is really lovely and would be a nice change from the Cites in the height of Summer, look at the small Towns of Bardolino or Garda its self

Buffalo, New York
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip options near Venice

Thanks for the suggestion. I am researching accommodations now. Another friend suggested Trieste as another option. We would still like to see some antiquities, etc. Any thoughts on this city?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip options near Venice

If you did decide on Lake Garda, it really is not far from Verona which is a also a beautiful City with many things of interest

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
78 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip options near Venice

Thanks. You have both given me some interesting ideas. From way in the past, I seem to recall Verona had some great marble stores. I'll start looking at this.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip options near Venice

I would consider the towns nearby to Venice, particularly Padova and even Mantua, also Verona.

Mantua has a simply enormous castle, a gorgeous square or two, lots of churches and restaurants and is surrounded by water where you can take boat trips. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantua

Padova has the amazing Scrovegni Chapel (booking essential) the basilica of St Anthony, wonderful markets and a vibrant student community.

www.padovacard.it/eng/index.php

Verona has the remains of the Roman theatre as well as the magnificent arena where they hold operas.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Collage_Verona.jpg

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip options near Venice

Verona's Roman amphiteater is in tact and huge.

Concerts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJPmv-OeMEA

And you can crawl all over it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JruxxhwY-0

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip options near Venice

But the Roman Theatre is rather in ruins, though I think somewhat repaired since we were there. Different place.

http://tinyurl.com/77gzeuc

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
78 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip options near Venice

To all,

Thanks very much for the information. I'm passing on to my "crew". One of them also mentioned Trieste. Researching that also. Usually I drive, but with 6 people, a mite more difficult to it into a car I am comfortable driving. Hate the larger vans on the interior roads~

Rosty

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip options near Venice

It's a pity if you miss Croatia, we took the ferry across from Ancona to Split in 2005 and drove down the Dalmation Coast. It was just stunning! This year we drove from Rome to Nice and didn't enjoy the northern part of Italy as much (except for Venice of course) as Amalfi, Rome, Umbria, Tuscany. Unfortunately, we didn't go back to Verona which is worth a visit. Cinque Terre is beautiful and the Italian Lakes. I was sorry we spent 3 nights in Milan. If you go by train this will obviously influence your decision.

Edited: 18 December 2011, 11:03