We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time in Venice

Robertsdale, Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
1st Time in Venice

We are traveling to Venice for the first time and will only be there March 31st-April 1st, leaving April 2nd. Should we tackle the city on our own or book tours? Advise please. I have a tour that I was looking at booking that includes a gondala ride, grand canal tour, St. Marks and Doge's Palace. I don't know if we could get better rates after we arrive or even if we need the tour through the main sites?

Thanks in advance!

Tana

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time in Venice

Personally don't do tours, with the aid of a Guide Book bought in advance, look at DK's Venice Top Ten, basic but so helpful for sorting things you feel would appeal, and so much cheaper, if you want a Gondola ride so easily available, better with youir partner or who you are with than a party,

a Vaporetto the down the Grand Canal is a must, on the line 1, from the Station to San Marco ideal,your there a short time best to things that you really like,

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time in Venice

When you do your gondola ride, don't focus on the Grand Canal--as already posted, the Grand Canal is best done by vaporetto (water bus).

Gondolas are great for the smaller canals--we enjoyed the different perspective we got looking at the city from water level.

Robertsdale, Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time in Venice

Thank you!! Would you suggest buying the 48 hour Tourist travel card ACTV?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time in Venice

A Travel pass is always worth having if thats what you mean

To get a discount arrange Week before travel,

www.veniceconnected.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time in Venice

By the way, Sophie, Thanks so much for the veniceconnected link that you posted in an earlier query....I had not been there in a while and found that their new (?) clickable, virtual map of the city to be the COOLEST THING EVER! I love clicking on random spots to see where I end up. I still end up getting lost....virtually! :)

http://maps.veniceconnected.it/en

(click on "city").

-Karl

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time in Venice

It is good, when you get the hang of it, , you can take some interesting walks,

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time in Venice

Well, travel cards are often worth it, but I wouldn't say always. Not everyone plans to use all the features of the card, so it might or might not be worth it in an individual situation.

8. Re: 1st Time in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:42