We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent advice please.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent advice please.

We are arriving in Venice on Thursday for 5 nights (family of 4 adults) and I wondered whether we are best buying a vaporetto ticket for 5 days, also where do we purchase these? I'm sure that all this information is available in the threads but have left it rather late to browse. Also, we are staying in Siestiere Castello and would like to visit some restaurants where the locals go - are there any suggestions? We were in Venice some 12 years ago and found these restaurants so nice but unfortunately, I do not remember any. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,230 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent advice please.

It is now too late for you to get a discount on a transport pass with advance purchase, so buy when you arrive. They are sold at the airport and at all vaporetto ticket offices.

A pass soon pays for itself, as a single journey costs €6.50 (or maybe the price has just gone up to €7).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent advice please.

There are no passes for five days - it goes from 72 hours with the next being the 7 day pass.

Look over www.veniceconnected.com to see what passes are on offer. Buy them when you get there but at least you will know what is available before you arrive.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent advice please.

www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/movinginvenice lists all the possible fares, and yes, the one-way fare was raised to €7 about a month ago.

If any of the adults were 29 years or younger, they can get the Rolling Venice + 2x72 hour passes, while those 30+ will probably be better off with the 7 day, particularly since you are in Castello.

The part of Castello closest to San Marco tends to have more touristy locales.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent advice please.

Aha so that is where we are staying (Castello Sestiere and not far from S. Marco... I_heart_Venice so will we have to spread our wings to get away from the tourist menus do you think...I was under the impression that they may have both...al la carte as well as tourist menus. Also the area near the waterfront in Castello I believe is well known for fantastic sandwiches!

I am more concerned with the water level at full moon in early October..

About the card, we have four nights...and we will only use it to get to our accommo to and back from the train station to S.Zaccheria stop and to and from Burano perhaps from S Zaccheria...would it warrant the savings?

Niec

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,839 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent advice please.

You may find you do use thje pass more than anticipate, I really would not worry about acqua alta, if you have one, it is short lived and well managed, all the times I have been to Venice seen one bad one and that was in November, only small ones just affecting the Piazza in October,

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent advice please.

Thank you all for the travel advice - that's great. At least I'll know what I'm looking for when I get there and both my daughters are under 29 - so better still!

Are there any particularly good restaurants off the beaten track from Siestiere Castello? We don't mind a bit of a walk, but equally, don't want to pay ridiculous tourist prices just to be near San Marco.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent advice please.

Great Sophie as i don't want to worry about wellington boots so will worry when and if it happens. Sue C ...Suggest you sus out TA restaurants and map them out in Castello as I have done. We have a few up our Via from TA and will take it from there. As always in Italy go a few vias back from any well known Piazza as the prices drop.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent advice please.

I would distinguish between "tourist menu" (a limited selection of each course at a discounted price) and "touristy" restaurants.

Even "local" restaurants can have a "tourist menu" (often used at lunch time for local working people), and the "touristy" restaurants will often have an ample ala carte selection, but you will rarely find locals that choose to eat in the "touristy" restaurants.

The areas heading towards San Giovanni and Paolo and the Fondamente Nove tend to be the sort you describe, with quite a selection (Casa Mia, Algiubagiò, Da Alvise, Al Vecio Bragosso, ...)

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent advice please.

That's great - thank you all for the advice. I love TA!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent advice please.

I_heart _Venice

What would you call a restaurant that has touts outside. Is this a touristy restaurant or is it mainly those around the main piazzas or on the waterfront or with views where tourists gather? Are you saying the tourist menu is cooked as you wait but just limited in selection or is it prepared beforehand more or less? I really prefer to eat in Trattorias moreso than restaurantes and I know if the locals are there then it must be good so I am basing my selection between who dines there and TA reviews. Also I like to get into small cosy places and not the huge sprawling type on the main piazza or waterfront...well maybe once for the view.