We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestion to visit Venice from Milan, Italy

Kolkata (Calcutta...
2 posts
Save Topic
Need suggestion to visit Venice from Milan, Italy

I am reaching Milan, Italy in 28th February, 2014. I would like to visit Venice from Milan on 3rd March and want to return at Milan on same day evening/night. Can you please suggest me how to go Venice by train. I like to explore Venice in 3-4 hours only. Please suggest what to see and how to visit the places at Venice in such a short time. Please guide me about expenses. I am looking for budget option.

Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$174.00*
US$194.10
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,566 reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,543 reviews
from US$75.10*
US$91.40
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
294 reviews
from US$81.40*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestion to visit Venice from Milan, Italy

The only public transport from Milan to Venice is by train. The walk-up price is €37.50 but if you buy now you may be able to get tickets for less. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns (Milano Centrale, Venezia Santa Lucia).

A day trip is not really practical, as even the fast trains take 2h35 each way.

For things to see in Venice, see www.venice-tourism.com/en/visit-venice.htm

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestion to visit Venice from Milan, Italy

3-4 hrs in Venice hardly seems worth it: all you could do on arrival at Santa Lucia station is either walk (following yellow signs, see also http://www.venicebanana.com/walking_train_station_st_mark_1.html) to Piazza San Marco or take a vaporetto down the Grand Canal, from the stop right at the station - both take about an hour if I remember rightly, at least by the slowest vaporetti that serve every stop - then return to the station.

An individual vaporetto ticket costs €7: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/prices

Edited: 21 February 2014, 13:43
3. Re: Need suggestion to visit Venice from Milan, Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:20