We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

I'm a frequent poster here and a big proponent of the Bed & Breakfasts in Lancaster County. I noticed something interesting today. If you look at the top five B&B's in Lancaster County (not the city listing, but the COUNTY), the top 5 listed are all members of a B&B Association, The Authentic Bed & Breakfasts of Lancaster County.

I'm sure that this association must have some kind of inspections or something and that's why their members are rated at the top of Trip Advisor. What a great service for guests! I also noticed that on their website (www.authenticbandb.com), you can search the availability of all the B&B's at one time. All the info is right there!

With the mixed reviews of all the hotels in Lancaster County (with the exception of places like the Eden and Fulton Steamboat), I just have to ask why more people don't stay at B&B's. With a big breakfast and lots of other amenities included, you just can't beat the value.

So, who is planning on staying at a Lancaster County B&B in 2012, and which one do you like??

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

We normally stay with my parents when we return to Lancaster County (I grew up here).

However, we have ,for our anniversary, twice stayed at the Apple Bin Inn in Willow Street, which I highly reccomend.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

" I just have to ask why more people don't stay at B&B's."

Actually, June, you have already asked that here a few times, and you've been given some very good reasons. Try to accept the fact that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for B&B's; they just don't work for some visitors.

We stayed at one where two of the guests had a disagreement at the breakfast table, and it escalated into a very unpleasant situation for all. Some people just "need their space" and don't mingle well with strangers.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

You're most correct. Those who 'need their space', really shouldn't stay at a lovely establishment like the Lancaster B&B's. They should stay at a cold, anonymous hotel and enjoy their 'space'.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

I travel solo and do not like the B&B experience. Give me a luxury hotel with amentities such as room service any day!

Edited: 30 December 2011, 13:22
North Carolina
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

One more opinion......in my profession I "mingle with strangers" all week long. When hubby and I travel, we like to be by ourselves. I really do not want to interact with hosts or other travelers. And I do not want to have to fix my hair or put on make-up to eat breakfast! (We usually try to rent a cabin or somewhere with at least a small kitchen) To each his own!

Lancaster...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

Yes, many people prefer to dine privately and innkeepers are aware of this. For that reason a number of bed & breakfasts, including those in the Authentic Bed & Breafast Association of Lancaster County ,offer a number of options such as cabins, cottages , or private dining in the room and are equipped with in room dining tables for two, or have kitchenettes. B&Bs have come a long way in the last 20 years. All you have to do is ask. The innkeepers who answer the phones for the Authentic Bed & Breakfast Association are very knowlegeable and can help a visitor find exacltly what they want in Lancaster County.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

Chappy is SO right! There are many choices when it comes to a B&B. Gone are the days of shared bathrooms and grandma's decor. The B&B's of today have amenities once never heard of...WiFi, luxury linens, gourmet breakfasts, private bathrooms with jetted tubs, steam showers. They don't 'nickle and dime' you to death...no extra charges for all these goodies. When was the last time you got a really wonderful breakfast served to you at a hotel for no extra charge? B&B's are truly a 'Better Way to Stay' (which is the current marketing campaign of the national B&B association).

Alas, I think the secret of all the value offered by B&B's is getting out. I've noticed that reservations are more difficult to get, rooms booking up. Which reminds me, I'd better get my reservations in for Valentine's Day!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

Why do I feel like I'm reading an advertisement?

Maybe the Greater Lacaster Hotel and Motel Assn. should demand equal time on this thread...........(;<D)

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

daddio361, why? Ummm, because you are.

Edited: 31 December 2011, 15:56
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bed & Breakfasts - interesting

This thread has become downright ridiculous! Give it up,Lynne! Some people like and some don't like B&Bs. Accept it.