We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

Edison, New Jersey
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

We go to Lancaster at least once per summer/fall and we always have a good time. So far we have walked all over Downtown Lancaster, toured the Amish land, took a train ride and a buggy ride. Also, we ate at an awesome brewery that was converted into a restaurant. (I have some pics here: telamore.com/5-things-to-do-in-lancaster-cou… ) At this point, i am starting to ran out of things to do there, as we have seen the most of Lancaster County.

What are some things you like to do there or places you enjoy visiting? We are open to all kind of ideas! Summer is coming and we are making our list :)

Thanks in advance!!

Julie

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

Julie,

If you feel like you've "been there, done that" in Lancaster County, why not cross the county line to the east and visit Chester County, PA, and the Brandywine Valley?

http://www.thebrandywine.com/

visitpa.com/pa-road-trips/brandywine-valley

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

There's lots to do and it feels a lot less "touristy" than the areas along Route 30 east of Lancaster city.

If you really want to stick to Lancaster County, I remember an awesome auto museum -- near Strasburg maybe? Can't find a web page, though, so maybe it's gone.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

Well, the Auto museum has been closed for some years. Its now a Peaceful Valley Furniture store.

Some things you might not have done

1.Wolf Sanctuary in Speedwell Forge.

2. Ephrata Cloister in Ephrata

3. Green Dragon Farmers/Flea Market Ephrata (open Fridays only)

4.The Sunday Antiques Markets in Adamstown (the Largest, Renningers and Stoudts are open Sundays only but many of the smaller complexes are open other days as well).

5Pa Renaissance Faire, north of Manheim.

6The shops and attractions of Lititz

7. A mud sale (various Saturdays in Spring and/or summer).

I can give more details on any of these that interest you.

wythanys suggestion of the Brandywine Valley is a good one, also. Longwood Gardens, in particular, should not be missed.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

There are a ton of things to do: theaters, wineries, golf, historical sites, museuems, galleries, sports, farm markets, outlets, etc. Check out www.800padutch.com or www.padutchcountry.com. The Lancaster County Visitors Center also has lots of info. Stop there on your next visit for brochures.

Steve

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

How about a 3 1/2-hour covered bridge scooter tour??? www.strasburgscooters.com

This tour will take you thru 3 or 4 covered bridges and the guides tell you all about the architecture and history of them. If time permits, you'll also stop at an Amish produce stand and an Amish furniture-maker. The guys who run the tours are a lot of fun and very knowledgeable. You have a 50cc Honda 'scooter' (think moped). They provide helmets and make sure you're perfectly comfortable with the bike before you all head out (the guides go with you, of course). You have to be 16 and have a valid driver's license.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

How about hiking? The Lancaster County Conservancy has some very nice properties and trails. I prefer those on the southern end of the county, particularly Trout Run and Tucquan Glen. They are both fairly difficult trails though, especially if there's been a lot of rain recently. If you head down to the southern end, you'll see a lot of Amish farms, stands, nurserys, etc that most tourists don't make it to.

nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/…0

Tubing at Sickman's Mill is always a good time.

http://sickmansmill.net/Tubing/tubing.html

Or just wander around Central Park...definitely check out the Garden of Five Senses.

www.co.lancaster.pa.us/parks/cwp/view.asp…

If you're into history, tour Rockford or Wheatland.

http://www.rockfordplantation.org/

www.lancasterhistory.org/index.php…

Have fun!

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

I would suggest Wheatland, the home of President James Buchanan, the only president from PA and Landis Valley Museum.

nps.gov/nr/…james_buchanan_wheatland.html

http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/

Another suggestion is Root's County Market & Auction in Manheim. They are only open on Tuesday.

http://www.rootsmarket.com/

Edison, New Jersey
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

Hello Wythany,

We haven't explored Brandywine Valley at all yet. I will defensively put it on our list!

Thanks for the tip!

Edison, New Jersey
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

Hello all,

brookquarry - We haven't done any of the things you suggested yet, so they are all going on my list, especially the gardens. Thank you!

scw - I will check out the website - Thank you!

JuneBJones - The scooter tour sounds awesome! My bf will love that! We were just talking about finding a covered bridge to photograph the other day - perfect timing :)) Thank you!!

CorrindaL - We never hiked before, so i might be a little out of shape, however, i would be happy to try :) Would be the best easier trail for a newbie our of the ones you suggested? - Thank you!

FlyEagle - Love museums and we haven't been to the ones you suggested. Will be making plans to go shortly. Thank you :))

Thank to everyone for your suggestions! Turns out there are a lot more things to do in PA then i have thought. I am printing out this list and putting it on my fridge - planning to do all of them this summer :)) Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Julie

9. Re: What to do in Lancaster County, PA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16