We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

As far as I can see the railway to the top of the Puy de Dôme has been closed due to an accident.

Is this correct and if so does anyone know when it might be re-opening? We will be visiting the Auvergne in early September.

Thanks for helping.

17 replies to this topic
Provence
Level Contributor
807 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

oh la la...

it might take a long time...

The company who "owns" the tracks gave the management to another company and from what I know they are fighting now about responsibilities... So it is most likely to take a long while...

You should check with the CRT Auvergne (Tourism Regional commitee) for more info. I dont think they intend to reopen the road to car which is a shame.

Here are the only I found (in French)... Saying that access is available by 2 pedestrian path....

puydedome.com/puy_de_Dome_volcan-75207.html…

NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

Phidou, thank you for that information. Basically we just wanted to get a feel for the Massif Central area. We have now decided to visit Le Puy en Velay which looks a really interesting town.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

>>Basically we just wanted to get a feel for the Massif Central area. We have now decided to visit Le Puy en Velay<<

The region is really diverse and changes character quite remarkably as you travel across its departements. Among other things, we spent some nights near Saint Nectaire in a village called Murol, visiting the Puy de Dôme on the way; took the téléphérique up to the Puy de Sancy near Le Mont-Dore; spent a night at lovely, tiny Cheylade near the Puy Mary, and finally worked our way over to Le-Puy-en-Velay for a couple of nights there.

Each place felt completely different from where we'd just been.

I don't know how long you're planning to visit the area for, but I suppose what I'm trying to say in my wittering way is that, if you can wend your way slowly to Le-Puy-en-Velay taking a long and scenic route, you'll get more of a feel for the region than if you just make a beeline for that town. Of course, you may already be planning to do this! But as marvellous as Le-Puy-en-Velay is, it won't on its own give you a sense of the area as a whole.

In any case, it's a wonderful part of France - I'm sure that you'll enjoy it!

NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

Halwimsey, thank you for the extra information. It gives us a lot more to work on!

Provence
Level Contributor
807 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

And if I were you I wouldnt miss which is one of my favorite city.

A travel in time in the end of the XIXth century. A must to my taste.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

I agree that the Auvergne is a lovely area and one that seems to be off the radar of a lot of overseas tourists. We spent a week in the Haute Loire near Brioude and really enjoyed exploring the area. We did a day trip to Puy en Velay, visited the villages along the gorges of the Allier, drove up through the Livradois forest to La Chaise dieu. This was in April after an unseasonal snow fall and it was magical. There are several Plus Beaux Villages in the area eg Lavaudieu, Blesle, Montpeyroux, St Floret. At the latter we drove up to the viewpoint above the village and discovered a very old church with an interesting cemetery with exposed graves and a small ossuary. Quite amazing!

So if you can, it is worth taking the time to explore some of these wonderful areas.

NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

phirhon Thank you so much for the information, I will certainly try to fit in some of those ideas.

phidou, would you mind clarifying which is your favourite city?

Thanks!

Provence
Level Contributor
807 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

Vichy.....

sorry !!!!

We used to call it the little Paris of the auvergne. It certainly lost a bit of his life but is perfect if you want to travel back in the early 20th cen.....

NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

phidou, thank you for your reply.

Halwimsey, I am having trouble getting information about the teleferique you mentioned. Would you mind letting me know some more about it?, where you joined it and maybe a convenient village near there? Would be grateful.

Provence
Level Contributor
807 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes

The telepheric he mention is the one to the Puy de Sancy Vulcano close to Le Mont dore, south west of Puy de Dome, not too far from Clermont Ferrand.

http://www.auvergne-sancy.com/

No mention of the telepheric on the english version...

The region is a sky resort in Winter time

In summer time, visit of the vulcano and Spa villages of the Mont Dore and La Bourboule (which I prefer to le mont dore)

Reply to: Puy de dôme; Panoramique des dômes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puy-de-Dome