We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruby Bay - good family beach?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Ruby Bay - good family beach?

HI, we are proposing to stay near Ruby Bay in NZ in Jan 2012, can anyone tell me whether Ruby Bay is a good family beach and safe for swimming? Also, is it a pebble, or sand beach? I have seen pictures but am not sure.

thanks.

Nelson, New Zealand
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruby Bay - good family beach?

Hi there

Ruby Bay is a great place for a family picnic or BBQ. It is a pebble/rocky beach, you can swim there however there are huge tides so at high tide it would be great, but low tide you may have to walk a bit. Ruby Bay is a lovely place, with great fish & chips and real fruit icecream. Nearby you can also visit Rabbit Island, a popular family spot & also Kaiteritei Beach.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,694 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruby Bay - good family beach?

TThere are so many beaches between Nelson and Kaiteriteri 9Ruby Bay is about 1/2 way) that you can't miss. rabbit Island must be one of the most family friendly beaches around. Don't make the mistake we did and visit the wineries. I think it was ruby Bay we went to and while we were checking the list the small of their BBQ wafted in. We didn't go anywhere else!

Nelson
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruby Bay - good family beach?

Totally agree with Olivia, I holiday at Rby bay, great place for a stroll in the vening too.

Coomera, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruby Bay - good family beach?

I drive past Ruby Bay every day and it is so beautiful. It is mostly used by the locals walking their dogs. There are sandy spots but you have to spot them when the tide is out. There can be big waves when there is a swell which is no good for little kids. The McKee domain is at the Motueka end of the bay and it has an upgraded playground and bmx track and BBQ area. If you walk to the other end of the beach you will find the Mapua Leisure Park which is our favourite beach to take the kids. There is a cafe right next to the sheltered sandy beach!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruby Bay - good family beach?

Thank you everyone!

6. Re: Ruby Bay - good family beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Nelson-Tasman Region