We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

I need some serious help. I'm just starting to plan a trip for our 10 yr anniversary. We are planning on staying in this region 3-4 days before moving north to Burgundy. I need some guidance on a good area/place to stay.

Our main interests are wine tasting and food. Specifically Chateauneuf-du-pape and Gigondas regions wines. We do not want to stay in a large city- prefer a quaint bed and breakfast. We will have a car. We would also be interested in maybe a cooking class but not necessary.

I've read about I'sle Sur La Sourge but I'm wondering if this is the best place. Please, if you have some suggestions please help!

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Floridamom,

L'Isle sur la Sorgue is one of my favorite towns and it is well located to do your trips to villages. And Gigondas and Chateauneuf-d-p. Here is a website to local wine tasting/chateau:

provenceweb.fr/e/mag/terroir/vin/index.htm

You do not indicate when you are going or if you have located hotel or B&B in Provence.

Val

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

We are going May of next year. (Yes, I know I"m planning ahead). No, we are still deciding on where to stay. We would probably prefer a B&B.

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Floridamom,

Good thing you are planning well in advance. I'm renting a house in I-S-L-S for 2 weeks this Sept. We wanted 3 weeks but it was so booked up when I was planning last Oct. that we are renting an apt in Aix for our last week. So you are not planning too early. And the planning can be so fun. I can hardly wait to go back to the village markets and the brocante market on Sundays in I-S-L-S are the best. Ah, and sitting on a terrace sipping rose and enjoying the most wonderful food, is heaven.

Hopefully some of the Vaucluse natives will be able to suggest a cooking class.

Val

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

I would suggest you stay in Vaison la Romaine, which is a bit off the tourist beaten track. Pretty old town (perched) and plenty of places to eat out in the new bit, plus it's by Mount Ventoux so you can get to more remote areas easily.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not heard of Vaison la Romaine. I will look it up.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

Vaison is a lovely village with a fantastic Tuesday market. It is about 10 to 15 minutes drive to Gigondas. Sablet and Seguret are right next door, so wine in abundance all around and excellent food to go with it.

If you do go there, be sure to visit Brantes, Montbrun-les-bains, Sault, in addition to the above mentioned villages. My own village of Bédoin has a super Monday market too.

I would add that Vaison is not at all off the tourist map. It has hordes of tourists and a bzillion bikers. Depending what time of year you go, these things may or may not interfere with your holiday. Don't let it stop you though. It is a gorgeous area.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Vaison is very touristy.

I am a great fan of Bedoin as we started holidaying in Provence around that village more years ago than I am going to admit.

Depending on what time in May you are going you may be able to rent a Gite (self catering cottage) for less than a week. Gets you out of the hotel atmosphere and if you feel like it you can cook some of the fantastic food you can buy in the markets as well as trying the local restaurants!

Edited: 14 February 2011, 16:56
London
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

As for cooking classes check out www. cuisinedeprovence.com

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks for all the replies. We would love to rent a gites if it is possible for 3 nights. Is there a good website to find one?

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

Yes lots.

Google Gites de France or try Cheznous - you deal directly with the owners in the latter many of whom are English or English speakers.