We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Village markets

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Village markets

We will be spending a week in the village of Pernes-les-Fontaines. We will have a car for day trips and plan to see the Luberon, Arles, Aix, Pont du Gard. We would like to experience an open market. From what I have read on the forum there are many, some seem more authentic than others. Some are described as "cheesey" and I am not referring to the product made from animal milk! If you could only attend one market in the area...which one would it be?

4 replies to this topic
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Village markets

Provençal markets are real markets, they're all 'authentic', but markets don't appeal to everyone, so sometimes they get called names. The big ones around Pernes-les-Fontaines are Carpentras on a Friday morning, Isle sur la Sorgue on a Sunday (includes lots of antique and bric-a-brac stalls). If you prefer something smaller, or those days don't suit you, just about every village has a weekly market, including Pernes-les-Fontaines, on a Saturday morning. Check out provencelive.com or any similar website for a list of market days.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,000 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Village markets

Not cheesey at all - just some markets are more interesting than others in terms of variety of food and goods offered. My favorite is the Sunday morning market in Isle sur la Sorgue, but it gets super busy in season. Get there early (by 9:00 or before) and plan on leaving before 11:00. I also like the Monday morning market in Bedoin. So, you could head there in the morning and, assuming you do not purchase perishable goods, you could spend the rest of the morning and afternoon cruising the lovely wine villages of the Dentelles.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Village markets

We spent two weeks in Pernes in April and enjoyed it. The Saturday market is a smaller market but still has quite a few food stalls. There is a very good local goat's cheese producer. We were lucky to be there in Spring and get new season asparagus. It is probably not as 'touristy', for want of a better word. After several trips to France, we find we actually enjoy the smaller markets. You will find if you visit a few in a small area on different days, a lot of the same vendors will be there.

We also enjoyed the Bedoin market which could be incorporated into a visit to that area. Already suggested, I now see!! This area is sometimes overlooked . We really like the area around Bedoin, Gigondas, Seguret . There are some lovely villages and amazing views. Another day we enjoyed was a drive along the Gorges of the Nesque ending in Sault. There is a lovely nougat shop there.

If you are self catering, the local Intermarche is good. And there are several boulangeries and a charcuterie in town. The boulangerie we often stopped at had very nice fougasse, especially the one with tapenade.

Bon voyage.

Vaison-la-Romaine...
Level Contributor
219 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Village markets

One of the best Provençal markets is on Tuesday in Vaison la Romaine a lively little town which also merits a visit for its important and beautifully preserved Roman excavations and its picturesque old town.

Reply to: Village markets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted