We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Toilets North Island

Ireland
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Public Toilets North Island

Hi there,

I looking for help please in trying to recall a place I visited on my recent trip to the North Island New Zealand. It was unusual public toilets with the outline of a male & female form done in black metal. I would love to see a photo of them as I forgot to take one but can't remember where they were. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Selbeep.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Toilets North Island

The North Island is a pretty big place, any clues?? Like where did you visit, what was the route. you took. Anything at all that might help us identify the area or town.

Ireland
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Toilets North Island

Thanks a lot for your reply. We travelled quite a bit in the North Island - Napier to Lake Taupo and then on to Rotorua then up to Auckland, Omapere, Russell, Bay of Islands area, Whangarei and a lot of the surrounding areas of these towns. I have a feeling it was somewhere we stopped off to visit an attraction. They were in an outdoor car park. I know this is probably an impossible question to answer!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Toilets North Island

Sorry the only toilets I can think of that are different are the The Hundertwasser Public Toilets at Kawakawa.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Toilets North Island

selbeep, you might be talking about the public toilets at matakana, i have a photo of them at home, but i found this one online:

www.flickr.com/photos/volker_nz/4043806464/

Auckland Region...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Toilets North Island

Boy things are bad when we are talking about Toilets lol

However the places you have mentioned you passed through do have some odd toilets. The ones that spring to mind are Tirau where they are housed in the Information centre which in the shape of a large sheep and dog?

Maybe?

mark

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,900 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Toilets North Island

The public toilets at Otorohanga Station (the kiwiana town) have a dozen different slang words for toilet in big bold lettering - dunny, long drop, bog etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Toilets North Island

i didn't realize there were so many 'interesting' toilets on the north island

is there really one shaped like a dog and sheep?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Toilets North Island

Well the toilets are inside the building shaped like a sheepdog in Tirau, along with the i-site, there are a few "shaped" buildings in Tirau made from corrugated iron, it's a great place for a midway stop on your way from Auckland to Taupo, lots of boutique and quirky shops and cafes. Here's a photo of the dog and sheep-

www.flickr.com/photos/graeme/5439917286/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46730153@N05/4298726397/

Edited: 31 March 2011, 05:33
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Toilets North Island

a 'Baaaa'throom!! that's hilarious! :D

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Toilets North Island

Ooh, I am really getting into this topic.Just at my level!

Does anyone know of any interesting loos ,or especially attractive ones, on way from Auckland to Opononi via west coast? Or anywhere else really north or south island.