We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy day things to do

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy day things to do

My husband and I are going on our trip to NZ next week.

Tuesday to Friday morning we will be staying in Kerikeri. Problem is, according to the forecast, looks like we are in for 3 days of solid rain!

Many of my plans for the stay had involved some general walking around the town, visit to Waipoua forest and stuff like that. However if it does rain a lot some of these kinds of activities will have to be limited.

So I was wondering, can anyone give me some ideas for things to do on a rainy day? We will have a car, so can do pretty much anything.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy day things to do

Bear in mind that it is almost impossible to forecast Northland spring weather that far in advance, so although the long range forecast does show rain, it may well not be the case !!

However, in case it is wet, Kerikeri has quite a bit to offer...

Several lovely wineries (Ake Ake, Marsden Estate, cottle Hill)

Great cafes and restaurants

Stone Store & Mission House

Makana chocolate factory

Old style cinema

Lots of Arts & Crafts places around the area

Waipoua Forest is still OK in the wet, infact it can add to the experience (it is supposed to be a rainforest!!)

If you do go over this way, Nelsons Kaihu Kauri workshop is well worth a visit...

UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy day things to do

I agree, you should still do the forest walk, I love walking in the NZ rainforests in the rain - this is their natural state, after all! To me the smell of the forest comes alive in rain too. Just make sure you are head to toe in waterproofs and that your shoes/boots don't leak. Then you will have a wonderful time!

3. Re: Rainy day things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:16