We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

Hi BayOfIslands/Northland Experts,

I'm planning a 3-4 day trip starting and ending at Auckland (end of April), which includes Bay of Islands tour, Paihia, Hole in the Rock, Ninety mile beach & Cape Reinga.

I'm really keen on including the 22-hour overnight tour by rocktheboat:

rocktheboat.co.nz/bay-of-islands/…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255110-d1…

1. Is this going to be too rushed-up for 3-4 days, assuming I dont hire a car and use bus transport like Auckland - Paihia and Paihia to Ninety mile beach, then bus back from Cape Reinga to Auckland

2. Is RockTheBoat really worth it ... I mean the price

3. I'll need economy accommodation for one or two nights ... so please advise.

Thanks for your help.

Kapil

India

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

We're doing the same thing as yourself but over 3 days but with the aid of a hire car.

We are staying at Swiss Cottage Motel - $145/night for a 1 bed appartment. You can get studio ones that are a bit cheaper. Its getting really good reviews on TA and seems quite close to everything.

The trip to Cape Reinga & Ninety Mile Beach can be done as a day trip from Paihia. There seems to be a 3 companies that are doing the trip and prices vary from $119-135 depending on who you pick. You can save 10% by booking online.

Plus of using rocket boat is you leave Paihia later but you can take a "slow" boat instead although last time I checked the price both were now the same price, rocket boat had been $30 more expensive.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

If going to the Cape from Paihia take the organised bus trip. This will take you onto 90 mile beach and the TE Paki steam sand dunes. Organised visits to the Kauri museum and preferential treatment at the Mangonui fish shop. Sitting up higher you will see more and at least one of you doesnt have to concentrate on driving. You cant take rental cars onto 90 mile beach either. It is against all hire agreements.

cheshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

We stayed at Swiss chalet motel really good value for money clean and real handy for trips out of paihia. Do the boat trip excellent value we were there early feb this year.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

Where did you eat in Paihia if you don't mind me asking? Had a look at the restaurant list and only a few was jumping out at me.

cheshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

We ate at the rib shack which is very popular and think the one on the front called upper deck both good food and ok prices we thought some of the recommended ones were expensive and had waiting times if you hadn't booked. We also had a good Indian but can't remember the name sorry.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

Thanks anyway.

I'm hoping that in July I won't need a reservation!

Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

I'm trying to book a day tour to the Cape from Paihia and have only found one company that does it for $135. Was wondering what other companies you have found? And if anyone has done them and found them to be worth the price?

cheshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

Try dune rider long day but well worth it. See website for details

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

We've booked the $135 tour too with Fullers but you get 10% off when booking online.

Other options I found were:

Awesome NZ - www.awesomenz.com ($119 but get 10% off if booking online)

Explore NZ - http://www.explorenz.co.nz ($149 - no discount for booking online)

10. Re: Bay of Islands & Ninety Mile Beach & Cape Reinga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 03:15