We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
2,061 reviews
Save Topic
Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

It is probably unsurprising that as far as I could see, not a single TA member has reviewed anything in the far flung Sulu area with its recent history of terrorism:

tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g1749465-Sulu_Arc…

Is there anyone reading this who has been to any of these establishments within the last year who could post a formal review on TA?

Given the strong travel warning 'do not trave;l', I have not visited and have no plans to do so, although it seems the snorkelling may be most enjoyable.

7 replies to this topic
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

@VL...I guess most, if not all, TA members share the same sentiment as you do being more informed travellers. I have some friends who have been to Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, even as far south as the Turtle Islands just a stone's throw away from Sabah Malaysia on Medical Outreach missions. They can only rave at the pristine beauty of the islands, beaches, rich marine life and abundant seafood. It's even more unfortunate that less informed travellers likewise shun areas in Mindanao that are peaceful, rich in culture, beautiful scenery with lots more to offer visitors.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 15:37
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

I have friends who come from Sulu and Tawi Tawi and I have seen many photos and they are beautiful places.

I hope maybe I can visit them one day but at the moment, most Filipinos will not risk going there.

Palawan Island...
Level Contributor
71 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

My hometown is in Mindanao, and it is near to sulu and tawi tawi island. . my father was a former soldier and was assigned to basilan where they can easily ride a boat going to sulu. He said it was really great. These islands have rich marine life. He said sulu, including the neighboring islands, is a paradise. Imagine, you can get any kind of fruits directly from the tree without paying it since it is free. You can go fishing anywhere. So perfect. But sad to know it is not recommended to in there. :(

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

Maybe by the time the southern troubles are over, Palawan, Bohol and Panglao will be like the Boracay now.

Since Sulu has been virtually left untouch all these years, people will discover that it is the Boracay many many years ago.

Palawan Island...
Level Contributor
71 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

When ill come back to my hometown, ill probably visit those establishments. i cant wait to be the first TA member to post a review there.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

Remember to take a lot of pictures to make us drool!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
2,061 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors

The stupidity of those who make the area unsafe is beyond me.

From the little one can see on the Internet, these islands have huge potential to become reasonably popular tourist destinations.

All that a small group of people are doing is denying themselves and other residents the opportunity to interact with travellers and as a side benefit to enjoy increased income.

bryantpark makes a very important point about Mindanao. Only a minority of that group of islands is unsafe. I have only been to a few places there such as Davao City, Camiguin Island, Siargao and briefly Surigao City, but the area seems to have much to recommend it.

Thankfully TA is publicising these places as Filipino tourism is now expanding reasonably fast, which is great. One challenge is that in many of the Mindanao cities and especially medium sized towns there is a lack of modern hotels, but it seems investment is coming to places such as Cagayan de Oro (despite the floods).

Even if the Tawi-tawi area was safe (which it isn't), those islands would be unable to cope with larger groups of tourists as it doesn't seem to me that they have many hotels.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 22:59
Reply to: Sulu: lack of TA member visitors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sulu Archipelago