We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Derby
Level Contributor
74 posts
Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Hi,

We are off to Embudu in Jan, having just come back from Biyadhoo. I wondered if anyone had been to both Islands and could draw a few comparisons? ie Food, snorkelling, rooms, drinks, staff etc etc

Andy

14 replies to this topic
Bocking essex
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Hi Andy...........We have been to Embudu twice..... great island good food, and the reef is great,......quite basic but all you will need.... funnily enough we want to go th Biyadhoo... it sounds very much the same....... perhaps you can let us know on your return....regards Spartacus

Derby
Level Contributor
74 posts
2. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Hi Spartacus,--- yes will give you a comparison in Feb when we get back.

We got back from Biyadhoo in late June, (seems like a lifetime ago) It was basic, friendly, good food from small selection and the reef is good.

For the price we paid we had a great time. If you are thinking of going around May, June then you get a free upgrade to AI (not sure of exact dates. If you can couple that with Kuoni Jan sale then you are onto a winner. We paid £1200 each for 18 nights AI, emirates flights.

stalybridge
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
3. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Hi,i've been to both and am going back to Biyadhoo for our 4th visit in September.Embudu is very much like Biyadhoo and it's the only island i have been to where the bar staff are female.You will have passed Embudu on your way to Biyadhoo,it was the island that only had a few water bungalows,and they had green roofs.Snorkelling,diving etc are really good.If you get in the water near the jetty to snorkel,there is a strong current -known as the Embudu express.This will take you nearly half way around the island anti-clockwise.One of the downsides on Embudu if you can call it that,is that unless you ask for a table on your own in the dining room,they will sit you with another couple,but hey it's a nice way to make new friends.Hope you have a nice time!!

Derby
Level Contributor
74 posts
4. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Thanks lissie

Another couple of questions,

Is the bathroom open top (unlike Biyadhoo)?

Is there a kettle in the room?

Did you have trouble getting sunbeds?

Thanks

Andy

stalybridge
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
5. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Hi Andy,bathrooms i think are outdoors,and no kettle in the room.We never had trouble getting sunbeds but i'm on the beach at 08.15,whilst the husband is away on a dive boat.Again a basic island but your holiday is what you make it,and it worked for us.Please say Hi to Anoma for me if she is still there.I spent a couple of hours with the waitresses and my hair straighteners one afternoon and ended up leaving them for the girls when i came home.Hope you have a nice time,best wishes Julie

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
591 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

We've been to Embudu 5 times - last time in April this year. The bathrooms are all inside the rooms - whether you have basic, superior or water bungalow accommodation. (NB You will need to take soap, shampoo, shower gel etc as they only provide a liquid soap - not mini toiletries.) Kettles are only provided in the Water bungalows as standard - I believe that you can get a kettle for a small fee in other classes of room - but we always take our own travel kettle and supplies. We have always stayed in a superior room as this has air-con and a fridge. (This is not kept supplied - but you can get bottled water and soft drinks from the bar to keep in it if you want.) You don't say if you have booked AI - depends on what you drink, but we have found that it always saved us money. (All drinks are quite pricey.) You can upgrade to AI on arrival if you want - and you don't need to wear a wrist band!

Sunbeds - there are plenty - but they are a slightly unusual design which has a tendency to tip backwards if you don't get positionned in them just right. (You can tell when it's happened by the laughter heard down the beach!) You can buy lilos in the shop on the island (US$15 I think) and the dive school are happy to use their compressor to blow them up for you or top them up if necessary. There are also lots of chair swings suspended from trees round the island - very relaxing and shady during the heat of teh day.

They used to have female bar staff (from Sri Lanka) - but this year they were all male. There is nothing nicer than a pre or post-dinner drink sitting on the deck over the sea by the bar!

The snorkelling is some of the best in the Maldives as the house reef is very close to the beach. If you haven't got your own kit you can hire from the dive school - who are also very helpful and informative about the area. Some days it's just like swimming in an aquarium! Everytime we go we see something different.........

Please feel free to ask any other questions about Embudu. We love it there - and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Jane

South Wales
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

We are going here in 38 days and although I like to meet new people, I quite like just our own company at mealtimes. I'm not sure about table sharing - I sound a bit anti social - is it a big deal to ask for a table alone?

Debs

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
591 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

If you speak to the restaurant manager, I'm sure he will give you a table for 2 if possible. If the island is full you may have to wait a day or so - but there a more tables for 2 than there used to be, so you may be lucky straight away.

Having said that - we have made some very good friends table sharing at Embudu!

Just a tip - quite a few people dash to the restaurant as soon as it opens for service for each meal. If you wait 15-20 minutes, the queues will go and you can see what the choices are without any hassle. Dishes are replenished from the kitchen very frequently - so you will not miss out!

Bocking essex
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

you cannot compare embudu is by fare the better of the two

snorkling

food

acomodation

and staff

coral garden is out of this worold embudu every time

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?

Thanks for the update to this IM SPARTACUS

Had been considering both islands for a cheapy week next autumn.

Reply to: Anyone been to both Embudu and Biyadhoo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Emboodhu Finolhu
Recent Conversations