We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embudu - price of drinks

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
56 reviews
Embudu - price of drinks

My daughter and family are going to Embudu in September. They are booked half board as the all inclusive option was so much more expensive. She is panicking now, having read that one couple spent £1000 in 2 weeks on drinks. Can anyone give me some up to date prices on the costs of juice, beer, water, coca cola etc at Embudu, please and hopefully set her mind at rest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

Drinks in the maldvies are expensive, it's pretty much a captive audience, you can't just nip out and go elsewhere. It's also illegal to bring alcohol in to the country.

I am not sure of the prices, but as this is a lower rating resort, then it won't be exactly London hotel prices, but probably not far off. Hence why ai is popular there.

However much depends on her consumption habits. Does she like a tipple or just a couple of drinks a day with some soft drinks.

You can upgrade on this resort when there, so she could watch it for a day and find if she is restricted she can go for the ai option. The last I could see it was about 26 usd each per day. That probably a couple of bottles of water ( you need two or three large ones a day due to heat) a couple of coffees and maybe a couple of colas and a glass of wine.

Without being rude, if going someplace like the Maldives, where you are forced to only eat and drink in the resort, then it really is wise to find out the prices before booking.

Some can bring it in much cheaper than ai. Others, like to have a few drinks throughout the day and at the bar at night and then ai is the cheaper option. It all depends on how she holidays.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

26 $ a day per person for AI is one heck of a bargain .. there is no way she can drink for less than that - even if they stick to strictly water. by the time you add a coctail or two ... yeah .. 1000 pounds doesn't seem off the mark for 2 people.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

When you say with family, exactly what do you mean? With kids I guess? How old?

Breakfast to dinner will be about 9 hours. If she goes for the very latest breakfast and the very first dinner. Thats a long time for adults not to eat never mind kiddies. Some peopl eat much less in the heat and have less consumption requirements, others get very hungry after messing about in the water. It really is a personal thing.

It's not about what is the cheapest at the travel agents, its really about how much do you want to eat and drink when there. Will she want lunch? Will her family? It's not really about just drinks.

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

Thanks for all the replies. Actually my daughter is Full board, not half as I wrote so not quite the 9 hours between meals. They are 3 adults, a 13 yr old and 2 toddlers. The all inclusive supplement was going to apply to each of them, about £120 per day in total. They are not big drinkers at all in fact my daughter rarely drinks alcohol. Good idea about trying it out for the first day. Looks like the bank of Mum and Dad may become involved here!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

According to the Embudu website AI supplement is $29 per person per day and ' should be taken for the full stay and for double/triple rooms, to be booked by all occupants - both people if in a double, three people if in a triple'. I would have directed you to their forum but it looks like the website has been updated to exclude it. You could try emailing the island for a price list. Their website with 'contact us' is here.

http://www.embudu.com/

H

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

Yes, I would email and ask them, all inclusive for toddlers seems a bit much, however in many instances kids go free., so am surprised they want to levy it for them,

However it maybe a good idea for the adults and 13 year old. But do none of the adults drink? If no one drinks, and they want to charge it for the toddlers, then pay as you go is they way. However you ask about the price of beer, so I am guessing someone drinks? The full board versus the half board also changes the pic somewhat.

I really would ask them, as I don't think if they demand toddlers go ai that's acceptable. There is also maybe a reduced rate for the 13 year old, as they don't drink alcohol, so worth asking about that too. Let us know their answer.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

Hi for a full review of the pros and cons of going AI v FB you could read the recent thread I started on the same issue albeit about another Island. I did a spreadsheet (sad I know) and with limited drinks the differenence was not significant so I just went for AI. How do you sign up for the bank of mum and Dad - my kids have one but nobody will take me on .

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

I received a reply from Embuduvillage re their charges for AI and it's as follows:$32 per adult per day (not 29 as on website), $16 for 2-12 year old, so the baby would not be charged. Comparing their quote from Thomson's, it's pretty much swings and roundabouts so the family are going to decide on arrival whether to upgrade from Full Board or not. Thanks to everyone for the input.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

Remember all drinks and food have a 10 percent service charge and 6 percent tax automatically added to the indivudal item prices on menus, it's worth pointing out to them, as it can cause a shock at the end if they have not factored it in.

I think you may find its worth doing, for the 13 year old, that's only the price of say 4 soft drinks a day, exc water. Or three and a bottle of water.

My daughter would probably go through about double that, if you think about it, one late morning, one with lunch. One after lunch, one or two late afternoon, one before dinner, one or two with dinner, a couple after dinner, it adds up really quickly and no one wants to tell their kids on holiday they can't have a lemonade. This way the thirteen year old can order their own drinks and they won't have to worry about it.

It's really hot, we went through approx 3 large bottles of water per 24 hour period, as well as lots of soft drinks, coffees and for us some cocktails, wine or beer. At least with ai they are guaranteed of the absolute max final price if she stays within it.

The other thing to look at is she taking her own snorkelling gear, always best, if not is it inc in the ai price? It's normally about 5 usd a day to hire each set. Are there trips inc in the ai price, many of them do,

Making the decision when she gets there is a good one,must worth also checking it's not for a week min except, some of them also do that, so if she does not do it the first day, then she could be forced to have a period without.

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Embudu - price of drinks

For my wife and I, Embudu AI has not been worth it. We usually only drink water on the beach, have tea in our room and I usually have 3 or 4 beers a day. Based on that, I would probably break even and my wife would be out of pocket. If you drink lots of fizzy soft drinks and spirits though, it is worth it.

Get answers to your questions about Emboodhu Finolhu
Recent Conversations