We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great house reef/speedboat from Male

London, United...
1 post
Great house reef/speedboat from Male

Hi, we want to go to the Maldives in March 2013. We have been before to "W" and "Huva Fenfushi"....high spec, but now we have a 18 month old we don't want a seaplane transfer (weight of nappies as excess baggage!), but we want a great house reef (like "W") with top end resort and not too far from Male (in case we need hospital for the little one).

Any suggestions from anyone who has found such an island!?

Thanks,

Tony

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
242 helpful votes
1. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

Conrad Rangali?

2. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 21:57
Edited: 27 December 2012, 21:57

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
82 helpful votes
3. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

Conrad would be great but it's a seaplane still. What about Angsana Ihuru? Not been there, but don't think it's quite in the same league as Huva etc, but still worth a look.

Also check out the resorts listed here and on the link at the bottom of that page.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293953-c141147/Mal…

SL

australia
Level Contributor
863 posts
64 reviews
124 helpful votes
4. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

Now that I removed my ealier post.. Do not know what my iphone did but it mixed an old post into a new one.. Whooppss.....

Bandos I would not consider as high end but I think is 4 star would fit the rest of your requirements..

House Reef

Kid Friendly as has a kids club from 1yrs old last time I checked.

Very Close to Male.

But I really would not let the excess baggage put you off a seaplane. Ours is always way over as we have two small children and last time carried nappies for two children and formular and a pram. They have only ever charged a maximum of $50.Total. It's really not expensive or a reason to not take a sea plane.

Conrad if you want high end is fantastic. We took our baby there and it was amazing. They have a clinic and a 24 hr dr. I had to use it and the dr seemed very good.

But if you do want to be close to Male for Medical Kurumba is another option. They are close to Male and you will hear and see big aircraft.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
62 reviews
222 helpful votes
5. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

Hi

You could take a look at Cocoa Island in the South Male atoll. It is a high end island about 40 minutes by speedboat from the airport. Not been myself so can't comment on the quality of the house reef. However, the island is very close to Biyadhoo which does have a good house reef.

OD

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
11 reviews
101 helpful votes
6. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

Cocoa Island is the answer. Been there 5 times, and I can vouch for it, definately what you are looking for. I've been to W twice as well. And Cocoa is my favorite 5-6 * island in the country.

Go for the COMO Sunrise villa, the two bedroom villa on the lagoon side if the budget allows, if not, go for one of the one-bedroom villas.

The corals are not that good, but the fish life is EXCELLENT since it is located on a channel, you see bigger and more variety of fish as well.

I've been to some of the best house reefs in the Maldives like Kandholhu, W, Ihuru, and snorkeling at Cocoa excites me the most.

Edited: 28 December 2012, 00:34
australia
Level Contributor
863 posts
64 reviews
124 helpful votes
7. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

May I just caution that suggestion... Correct with if I'm wrong but the accommodation at coco are all over water? I would really avoid this with an 18 month old unless you go to centara which have toddler proofed over water villas.. It really is dangerous with that particular age if the verandah doesn't have a railing..

I'm not sure that iskand would be "toddler " friendly..

Perhaps in the event of needing a baby sitter to go snorkeling its better to be in an establishment that has facilities for children ... This still comes in handy even if you don't need a baby sitter.. Our child loved visiting the kids club to use the equipment since you can't load many toys into suitcases.. Not that u need many as mine love the beach but its still a good back up if it happened to rain..,

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
40 reviews
405 helpful votes
8. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

I believe some high end resorts provide free nappies. Shangri-la Villingili did when we were there. Worth checking.

australia
Level Contributor
863 posts
64 reviews
124 helpful votes
9. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

Oh wow turquoise23 that would be handy..!! I must not have stayed at high end enough as I have always had to take my own...Although all the resorts I stayed at that are child friendly had nappies to purchase in the boutique!! That would have come in handy the trip last march when I had half a suitcase of bag with just nappies!!! But I'd still be cautious as they didn't seem to have a great deal of nappy sizes so that could go pear shaped if they happen to run out of the size you needed.....

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
40 reviews
405 helpful votes
10. Re: Great house reef/speedboat from Male

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g676752-d3…

See reviews headed 'paradise found' and 'The great escape' appears Shangri-la cater well for babies. Even UHT milk, wipes, buckets and spades. However this may have changed now, but worth bearing in mind. I do remember the nappies free back in 2009, but it was only something I noticed (my daughter is an adult now) so can't comment on quality sizes etc. I remember the days of lugging around tons of equipment, I used to take her play pen everywhere with me too!

Reply to: Great house reef/speedboat from Male
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Emboodhu Finolhu
Recent Conversations