We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
22 posts
353 reviews
Mosquitoes

Going to Embudu in 5 days, for 2 weeks AI. Can't wait. My question is a rather general one regarding mosquitoes. I went to Vilu Reef (pre Tsunami) on honeymoon and was told in no uncertain terms that there were no mosquitoes. This proved to be true and I assumed it was a general thing all over the Maldives. Researching my forthcoming trip seems to indicate that mosquitoes are a real problem, what happened?

3 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi

In 5 trips to different island found it varied betweeen islands - some had virtually none, to the extent we stopped using repllent, others loads (and sandflies too).

Guess it depends on how much island is on top of problem.

Always use repellent for airport though!

Karla

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
283 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Some have none, some have a few, some have a lot. Some islands fog regularly, some not so. You dont get mossies in WVs and mossies in the current dry season are less prevalent than the rainy season. Suck it and see. We were at Athuruga and put repellent on just in case to start with but after a day or so it was pretty obvious none were about so we stopped putting it on. Keep your aircon on in the room when you go out to dinner. That will put them off. As insurance, I would give the room a spray of RAID as we go out to dinner (just in case lol).

Put repellent on in the plane before landing at Male and before you leave the resort to go home.. Thats quite important with reports of Dengue fever at Male/local islands//airport

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
22 posts
353 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Many thanks folks, specially the tip off re. repellant at the airport.

Reply to: Mosquitoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Emboodhu Finolhu
Recent Conversations