We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

Leicester
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

Hi - Looking for somewhere special to stay and came across Seascape at Camber Sands via Alistair Sawday.

It is pricey - has anybody stayed there - looks beautiful.

Also - what is Camber Sands like as a place? It sounds a little run down.

We'd like to eat somewhere good on my birthday - Green Owl or Bistro at Gallivant.

Any other suggestions be helpful. Many thanks.

27 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

The beach itself is very good, especially when the tide is out leaving a wide expanse of sand. As you say Camber Sands itself is a bit run down - there is a Pontins holiday park there that has seen better days.

However, a short distance away is Rye, which is a very pretty and historic little town. See post #16 on this thread about things to do there: tripadvisor.co.uk/…37770123

www.visitrye.co.uk

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

Hello :)

Camber is known for its fantastic beach, with the dunes, and the fact when the sea goes out, it goes out for miles. And put it this way, nothing beats seeing the sunrise or sunset from the beach. In Camber there are two shops, a good Nisa and a Premier shop, a pub called the Castle, and some restaurants, ie, The Gallivant and the Dunes bars. I've heard people say to me that the dunes does a good sunday lunch plus good food. Camber is connected by hourly buses that go all the way from Dover to Hastings, if you fancy catching a bus one time, instead of driving. In the summer, there are places the atypical seaside buildings near the beach, but no amusements anymore. Unfortunately I've never eaten in Camber, well, not restaurent food anyway, I've had the atypical fish and chips, hence why I've only gone on others recommedations. If you are interested, I can ask someone what they think of the Green Owls food if you want me too?

Nearby Rye is beautiful with it's cobbled streets and all the history! Plus every Thursday they have a good market located near the trains station (which no trains are now operating from until 9 March). Most people ask me this question, but there is not big supermarkets in Camber or Rye, yes, there is a small Budgens, but there is no Tescos or likewise, you have to drive to Hastings or Ashford for that, although there is small Sainsburys in New Romney.

How long you going for anyway? And my reply to you ended up very long-winded. :)

Edited: 09 January 2012, 12:02
Leicester
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

Hi - This is very helpfull - thank you. I'm only going for 3 days just can't make up my mind whether I'd be better staying in Rye but this Seascape place in Camber does look fab. If it's not trouble I'd be interested in what Green Owl is like. many thanks.

Leicester
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

Hi - Thanks very much for this - Rye looks lovely and is very close to Camber so guess could stay at Camber and get bus (or drive) into Rye.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

Rye is about 3 miles or so from Camber, twisty roads I'm afraid. If you like to cycle, there is a cycle route also (not on the main road). The bus service is the 100 and here is a link hopefully to it: www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx… - not sure I've linked properly but hopefully.

In Rye there is more eateries, ie, I recommend the Simply Italian near the strand, where I've eaten in a few birthdays.

I will see what I can do about finding out about the food in Green Owl.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 12:46
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

I went to work hence late reply, but I was told that the Green Owl can be cliquey and you'll be better of going to the Dunes? My problem is that I don't often eat out, so had to ask a couple of people. What time of year you going?

Edited: 09 January 2012, 20:53
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

<stay at Camber and get bus (or drive) into Rye>

You can actually walk between the two, only touching on the road at the very end. From Camber walk westward along the beach towards the river estuary. Once there turn right - you will have the river on your left and the sand dunes and then golf course on your right. Part of the way you will see the old train tracks that used to take holiday makers from Rye to the beach. Follow the river all the way until you get to Rye. Probably a 2-3 mile walk in total, and a lovely one at that. And of course you will have all the goodies of Rye once you get there - reward yourself in one of the tea shops or pubs!

Edited: 09 January 2012, 21:10
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

That's a good suggestion, I've done the walk a few times :) I quite enjoy it. you are definetely better than doing descriptions of walks than I am. I walk them, but can't describe how I do them. Definetely nice on a warmish day or perhaps not so warm.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

Were it me, for a special occasion with friends, I'd rent a big old house in a cobbled street in Rye, make the most of the wonderful town and just walk to Camber for the day. In fact, that's such a good idea I think I'll write it down for my 50th birthday in 2014.

Thanks everyone !

Mike

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?

<there is a small Budgens, but there is no Tescos or likewise, you have to drive to Hastings or Ashford for that.>

And there is Jempson's superstore in Peasmarsh (c3 miles from Rye). One of the largest independent supermarkets in the country. They even provide a bus service, which for Camber is Friday afternoons. In a country that is dominated by the big 4, it is a testament to Rye that they survive without them and have their own local company. If only it was the same in other parts of the country. http://www.jempsons.com/

Reply to: Thinking of staying at Camber Sands for a big birthday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted