We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Topic
Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

Almost six months after Typhoon Haiyan struck a minority of Philippines, there is nothing that I can see with a quick Internet search on the 2014 progress in rebuilding Guinan, Samar that was one of the worst affected places.

We know that Malapascua Island's and to a slightly lesser extent Bantayan Island's rebuilding is progressing well.

We know that Tacloban's reconstruction is proving challenging given the large population and their previous desire to live by the sea.

But we hear nothing about Guinan. Does anyone have any updates? While I was fortunate enough to visit Leyte twice before the typhoon, sadly I have yet to visit Samar, but would very much like to. However I suspect Guinan is still pretty much a no go zone (although it's only part of what in Filipino terms is a reasonably sized island). Conformation one way or the other would be helpful.

9 replies to this topic
L d
Manila, Philippines
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

I've been in Guiuan from November to December (after the typhoon), and back again in January of this year and April. So far, life has returned to normal if i may say so. Houses are currently being rebuilt, more establishments were open last April compared to January. There's electricity, but blackouts are also consistent (lasting from a few minutes to a few hours). In Calicoan (where Surf Camp is located), its much more devastating. Literally, surf camp is no longer there. i only saw a skeleton of one hut (but take note, this was last January. Im not sure if construction had been ongoing since then). but further down, houses are okay and like i said, things have pretty much gotten back to normal, and is continuously progressing.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 01:53
london
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

Surf camp yet to start rebuilding .Guiuan improving .Calicoanvilla 90% up and running .Airport needs to open full time to improve progress the area .

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

L d and teddy28, thank you very much for this excellent information.

Samar has never attracted many foreign tourists. Perhaps it should, just as Leyte is finally starting to attract a few plus of course Filipinos from Metro Manila and elsewhere.

L d
Manila, Philippines
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

i went back to Calicoan last June, and there were already surf shacks by the road. So i'm assuming, 5 months after, that it's way better there now

london
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

Calicoanvilla and restaurant with pool now up and running just surf huts to rebuild X3 .Just awaiting the people to come .

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

Teddy28, thank you again.

As with many of us, I need to visit Samar as it is certain to offer some enjoyable experiences.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

Thanks a lot everyone - it is good to know this.

Philippines and Filipinos have an amazing ability to get back to normalcy after big disasters. In my stay in the Phils, I could see this often after many storms / floods and a few earth quakes

Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
444 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

While the area around Guiuan now lacks adult coconut trees, things are returning to normal. My travel blog was contacted by a professor from a large university in the USA this winter. He was wanting to take more measurements of Yolanda's storm surge along the coast north of Guiuan. I had no trouble contacting people in the area and they arranged accommodations and transportation for him and his coworkers. It went well.

I'm planning a four week trip to that area and northern Samar next winter. While this trip is to set up our new house (old one pulverized by Yolanda), I also plan to post information on here and on my blog as to what a person can expect while traveling. I'll be based in Salcedo.

Edited: 20 March 2015, 20:02
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

whip5209, this will be extremely valuable information as Samar has much to offer, but very few foreign travellers have been there, myself regrettably included. Please be as detailed as possible and also separately formally review any attractions, restaurants and accommodation that you patronise.

Reply to: Rebuilding progress post Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guiuan
Recent Conversations