We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

Has anyone stayed at the Anchorage Apartments in Mt. Maunganui in the Bay of Plenty on the North Island? My wife and I are traveling there from Canada and despite the web site info, would really appreciate some first (or second) hand information regarding the place and the area.

9 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,362 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

I haven't been inside them so can't comment on size and condition etc but they are reasonably new and in an excellent location. Two minutes walk from safe swimming in Pilot Bay, 5 mins walk to the Mount and it's many walking tracks, 5 minutes to the oceanside beaches and the hot pools and 2 minutes to cafes, restaurants and shopping. Mt Maunganui is a lovely seaside town with boutique style shops aplenty and dozens of eating establishments. You couldn't get a better spot to have an extended holiday- back one road from the passing traffic and people. Mt Maunganui does get busy over summer. My only comment would be that generally most of the apartments & their, rooms in the Mount area tend to be on the small size. Though as I have said I haven't been inside the Anchorage.

Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

Agree with Zappers: Anchorage has great location. Apartments, however, leave a bit to wish for: Kitchens are small. Very little counter space. As someone staying in a unit last year said, "They seem designed for weekend use." Have stayed there briefly- the year the building opened--, and agree with the that assessment. Have you considered the Beaumont??

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

Thank you Zappers for a very informative and helpful description of the Mt. Maunganui area and of the Anchorage Apartments. Being this far away from our intended destination, information such as this is invaluable. Thanks!

Guelph
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

I would also be interested in finding out what you thought of whatever apartments you stayed in. We're considering a long-stay vacation and these two buildings are the choices for accommodation. If you have anything to offer, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Debbie

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

We're here at The Anchorage now and Zapper's comments of October 4/2010 describe the situation perfectly. The location is ideal and have walked all over the area, we much prefer the Pilots Bay side to the much busier main beach side which is a much longer beach area but also noisier during the holiday season which lasts for about 6 or 7 weeks if I'm not mistaken. If you do consider the Anchorage, I'd recommend something off the ground floor and facing Pilots Bay and the Mount if available. Security is excellent in these apartments and the managers are friendly out-going and helpful. We looked at the Beaumont whilst in the area and it's a nice place but more expensive and busier especially during the holidays. EVERYTHING(except the golf) is very expensive by Canadian standards. We're currently paying $2.00 NZ for a liter of gas. Hope this helps...

Guelph
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

Thanks very much for updating me on this. Are you by any chance on a Goway snowbirds deal? That's what we were looking at. I appreciate the information.

Debbie

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

Sent you an email.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

In December my wife and I stayed at The Pacific Apartments 8 Maunganui Road, just 2 minutes from the base of the mount.The block is quite new and has a very spacious kitchen area, bathroom, new furniture, 2 Sky tv's, i-Pod radio/charger, washer,dryer, secure underground parking, pool etc The apartments are privately owned (I think) and are rented out. The town centre bars/restaurants are a 10 minute walk away

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ

It is nice to hear what people say about the place we are planning to visit this February, 2012. Thank you.

Our son is training with local Club in Mount Maunganui and we are looking for an apartment to stay there for a week. Your postings are very helpful.

Reply to: Long Term stay in Mt. Maunganui, NZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Maunganui