We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

Seattle
Level Contributor
292 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

Hi,

Has anyone on this forum ever been able to get on the Lake O'Hara bus without reservations? We would be trying for a spot towards the end of August, mid-week. Not sure of our exact dates so it will be hard to make reservations. Thanks for your help.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

We did in 2001, but it was near the end of season in september. We tried again in 2007, but no luck that time. We were too late(around 8.00am) and there were five others before us and three of them got on.

Seattle
Level Contributor
292 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

Hi Wallie R,

What month was your second try? Was it September also? That's interesting, that 3 people acturally were able to get on. Of course, I'm sure it makes a difference what time of year it is!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

Hi Lily,

Second time was also in (end of) September.

I remember from the last time, someone telling me they keep 5-6 places open, so I looked it up and found this:

http://www.hikingcamping.com/lake-ohara/php (4th paragraph)

Could be a chance, maybe?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

A hitch in the link, sorry.

http://www.hikingcamping.com/lake-ohara.php

Seattle
Level Contributor
292 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

Hi Wallie R,

Thanks so much for the link. That was extremely helpful info and I do appreciate you taking the time to post it. Have a "GREAT" day!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

Thanx. You too, and I hope it will work out well and you'll get a chance to get there.

7. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:05
Edited: 23 June 2013, 04:05
oosterzele
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

when we where in august 2012 at the bus parking lot, the ranger told at some people who wanted to take the bus without any reservation, that there were no longer 6 free places hold for the early morning booking. So you need plenty of luck that somebody cancel the trip and to be the first sat the check-in.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

We got on a bus to Lake o'hara without reservations. We got to the bus stop at 6:00am and we were able to get on the 8:30 bus. It was a long wait in the dark, but worth it!!

Armonk, New York...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake O'Hara bus without reservations

On 7/25/2012, I was the 7th person waiting without reservation, one couple and one family of four in front me. There was 4 person no show. The couple took the bus and the family of four decided to hike. I was really lucky to board the bus. But I wasn't lucky while I was hiking. It started to snow while I was on top of the mountain. Everyone walked down very carefully on the way down. I lost half of the valuable time to enjoy the beautiful view.

If I have chance, I will try to camp there in the future.

Get answers to your questions about Yoho National Park