We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

Bath
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

Today we packed our bags and set off for the airport after a fantastic two weeks relaxing Elviria. We come here a lot and enjoy the area. We stopped at the Opencor supermarket in Elviria to pick up a few bits for our journey and within minutes our hire car had been broken in to and our bags and passports were stolen...in broad daylight. This has been very distressing and we have learnt that this car park is a hot spot for this type of crime and happens all the time. We don't want anyone else to experience this so please be very careful!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

Hi there

Firstly, what a shame this happened to you, and i hope it didn't ruin your holiday too much but with respect, did you really leave your bags and passport in your car? Would you do that in the UK??? Or were you robbed whilst you were in the car?

Hire cars are a target anyway wherever you are in the world, simply because people when they are on holiday tend to let their guard down more than they would in their normal surroundings.

How did you get on with reporting it, and was it hassle free process getting a temporary passport? Be interesting to know how you got on with that kind of thing as it may help others.

Finally, the warning should really be "NEVER leave anything of importance or value in a car if it is left unattended!!

CB

Edited: 18 November 2012, 02:50
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

What a horrible way for your holiday to end but like CB I don't understand why you left your bags and passports in the car? If we do leave things in the car they would be locked away in the boot but really important things like passports, money etc are kept with us at all times.

It would be good to know how you got on with the consulate etc regarding getting a temporary passport to get home, saw a tv programme once on someone in Tenerife who had a problem and it looked like it could take sometime, so wondered if you were able to get your flight home OK. What did the Police say when you reported it? Hope that your insurance covers your losses.

This actually is a good reminder to everyone to be careful with their belongings whether they are in the UK or on holiday where we all tend to be a bit more relaxed.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

Friends of ours had a bag snatch at the old train station at the airport. They lost their passports too.

We had to attend at the consul office in Malaga. They rang the consul first, who then downloaded a copy of the stolen passports so that they could identify our friends. They then had to pay 5€ per person for new photos, 120€ each for a 3 day temporary passport, then the additional cost on getting home of a new 10 yr passport. Their insurance covered most of it, but was a nightmare at the time. The consul office were very good.

The police at the airport gave our friends a letter, and told them that this would be sufficient to travel home with. Had our friends not rung the consulate they would have relied on this "police letter". On checking with the airline, Easyjet, they were informed that they wouldnt have been allowed to travel.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

Think Airport Police Europe wide need bringing up to date with current regulations.

In the past a letter from them was acceptable - I flew home with one after I lost my Passport on a Bank Holiday when the Consulate was closed - but things have tightened up considerably since then.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

Be good to hear how the OP got on as well.

Bath
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

All our bags were locked in the boot and were not visible and it all happened in a matter of two minutes (the time it took to buy a bottle of water!). Of course we would never normally leave anything in the car in the UK or abroad but there we go! I just wanted to warn people about this car park as it is well known (as we know now) for this type of crime as it is a wealthy area. I am a seasoned traveller and have travelled the world many times but I only ever hear stories like mine in Spain!

The police attended and we followed them to the Police station in Marbella where they took our statement via an interperter. The police did not say anything - it is so normal for them they just shurgged their shoulders. We then had to go to the British Consulate in Malaga but they are not open at the weekend so we had to wait till Monday to apply for our emergency passports (they cost 123 Euros each). They took 24 hours to process and we were able to fly home on Wednesday.

7. Re: Elviria is lovely but a word of warning...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2016, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Elviria