We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Cala beach

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
La Cala beach

How far is La Cala beach from Calahonda? MrsB.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Cala beach

Its only about 10 mins in a car or a bit longer on the bus. Not sure if you know but its market day on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Cala beach

Thank you so much Ceejayblue, just gathering information so this helps a lot. Not sure whether to stay in Calahonda or La Cala as I believe it has a great beach.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Cala beach

Calahonda is where we usually stay, been going for over 20 years now and we love it but it doesn't have as nice a beach as La Cala. Also, Calahonda is split by the motorway and the main bit of it goes up quite a steep hill. However, we love it there, we've stayed at Club Marbella (we own a timeshare there), Club Calahonda and Dona Lola and Leila Playa. There are lots of bars and restaurants in Calahonda with the majority being on the non-beachside of the motorway. Its also more of an urbanisation than a little town/village.

La Cala is off the motorway too but has a good beach, shops, restaurants and a market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Both have their good points. What are you looking to do while you are away as they are both good places to use as a base, there is a good bus route that goes along the motorway to Marbella and to Fuengirola in the other direction.

If you need any other info I'll be happy to help if I can.

Dublin
Level Contributor
94 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Cala beach

Hi Ceejayblue!!

We stayed in La Cala last year and really loved it. This year we are going to CaboPino. Can you tell me is that within walking distance of Calahonda? We don't mind a big walk, we were based in Torrenueva last year and walked down to La CAla every night. We do however have a boy just turned 4 so I'm thinking I might bring a buggy. Also are there plenty of restuarants etc in Cabo Pino itself?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Cala beach

You can walk it along the beach which will bring you up to the Calahonda beach, which isn't that good! You could also walk along the motorway but to be honest I don't encourage that. Have done it once when I walked between bus stops and its really scary. If you stay on the beach side of the road when you get to Calahonda, there are lots of bars and restaurants, including the Dona Lola resort's bar which you can also have a drink at. There is also another little bar along that bit which is under trees and has a small play area and sometimes they have animals there, forgotten the name of it but its Spanish owned unlike some of the other bars in the area.

There are loads of restaurants in Cabopino, including Alberts in the Port, a couple of good beach bars - Andy's Beach Bar isn't cheap but its on the beach so you can sit and watch the kids and have a beer or two!

Be aware that there are no railings around the marina so keep a tight hold of the little ones. Also, the dunes area of the beach is a nudist friendly area just in case you want to avoid it.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time..

Kent
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Cala beach

Hello,

Just wondering (not meaning to sound lazy) but roughly how long would it take to walk along the beach from Calahonda to Cabopino? When at Cabopino, is it easy to get a taxi back?

Thanks!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Cala beach

I'd say its a good 35-45 mins as walking on a beach is slow going, could be quicker if you are really fit! LOL! There are plenty of taxis just outside the marina area but you could walk up to the main road and get a bus along if you liked. Taxi is around €7 (although this could've gone up since we last went).

Kent
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Cala beach

Sounds great, thanks for the help. Going back to Calahonda next month, so need to make sure we visit Cabopino at least once!

9. Re: La Cala beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Sitio de Calahonda