We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

We loved staying in Mijas Pueblo last year and this year we'd like to try Leila Playa. We won't have a car, but it seems we can use the bus and train and that tours are available from the resort--we didn't go to Cordoba, Seville, or Toledo last year so we'd like to plan trips there this year. I see we can do that on our own with a train from Malaga--in what ways, if any, is a tour superior? Also, since Dona Lola and Leila Playa are sister resorts, we'd be able to use the Dona Lola facilities. Is that a walkable distance--beach or busy road? Bus access? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

The M220 bus to Fuengirola stops just by the entrance to Leila Playa and the stop to get off for Dona Lola is at Las Postas (think its 1 stop on if you wanted to get the bus). You can walk there but its all along the side of the motorway and not very pleasant, so I'd suggest walking along the beach, much more pleasant.

Stayed at Leila Playa a few years ago and the last 3 visits have been to Dona Lola. You can use the facilities at Dona Lola, they have a big pool (unheated) down near the beach and an adult only pool, small but heated all year. They also have an indoor pool and gym facility.

Going with an organised trip is easier if you are otherwise relying on public transport and so I'd say go for the organised ones. You would need to get the bus to Fuengirola and then the train to Malaga and then train or another bus onwards and to be honest I'd definitely go with the organised trip - at least you know you will get there and back without having to wait for buses etc. Although not sure in the low season they will run all of them as there might not be sufficient people interested in going,.

Your nearest supermarket is over the footbridge at Los Cipreses, there is a Supersol and a Lidl there and there is also a Chinese shop, newsagents, restaurants and bars and an internet cafe. Leila Playa charge €20 for internet access (as do all MacDonald resorts!) which is expensive when there are so many local bars and restaurtants with free wifi.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

What time of year to you intend visiting Spain? As cjb says there may not be so many tours out of season.

Also, if you intend to use the facilities of Doba Lola would you not be better staying there rather than Leila Playa? Wherever you decide, contact the resort requesting an updated apartment as they are much nicer than the older ones.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

Agree with Jackie, meant to say that Dona Lola being the bigger resort has more options and more restaurant and bars close by. Not sure that even Dona Lola has much evening entertainment out of high season either, I know the BBQ on Monday nights has finished now.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

Thank you, Jackiee and ceejay,

We'll be going in May, 2014 and there is a timeshare available at Leila Playa but not at Dona Lola, which we would have chosen. It's risky hoping that Dona Lola will come available; I think we'd be happy at Leila Playa, though I'm not sure about the unit being too desirable. I looked online at the resort map and Unit B3 appears to be at the end (not the beach end--looking at the chess/golf) and I can't tell if it's on the first floor or the second; the resort hasn't answered my email. If you have any ideas about the desirability of that unit, I'd appreciate your feedback. Wherever we stay, you make great sense about choosing an organized tour over an independent trip. We traveled independently last year to the Alhambra and to Ronda; to Nerja and Frigilliana, but we had a car, which we don't plan on this time. All of your tips are much appreciated! I'd never travel without TA advice!

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

Doña Lola is a larger resort than Leila Playa. Are you exchanging with RCI or DAE? If so place a search for Dona Lola. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't become available. May is a lovely time to visit but not high season so you have a good chance of an apartment. Are you looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom?

Edited: 15 October 2013, 22:46
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

I have just returned to Dona Lola after two nights in Seville and one in Cordoba. Trains are very quick and reasonably priced especially if you get an over 60s gold card which gets you 40% discount. I can suggest hotels if you like - ours were good. The travel agent over the road from DL booked the hotels, but I didn't know Trip Advisor then. I bought rail tickets at the stations.

Day trips go from DL and LP, but start early and involve a lot of pickups from other resorts. I think they'd be a bit of a slog.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 10:40
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

Thanks, David--your response helps us a lot--especially because we're inclined to travel on our own, but always question whether it'd be wise to leave the planning to someone else. I think the trip from Malaga to Cordoba is about an hour by train, isn't it? How long is the bus ride from LP to the train station? And then, is it much of a hassle getting from the Cordoba train station to Cordoba? I believe it's 2 hours to Seville? We've extended our three week vacation to four so that we can go back to Spain and see these cities--but the costs are adding up and I think we'll minimize nights away that will mean we're double booked: possible to go to Cordoba and back in a day? It sounds like you are now enjoying the wonders of Andalusia--I'm envious! We particularly loved Ronda and the Alhambra in Granada, and Frigilliana. Have the very best of times and thank you for whatever advice you can offer, whenever you can. (Can non-European residents buy the Gold Card? I thought I recalled some restrictions.) Sharon

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

You need to allow at least 20-30min for the bus to Fuengirola and then the train journey to Malaga Maria Zambrano station and change for Cordoba. So I'd allow at least an hour to get to Malaga from Leila Playa, luckily the bus stop is just outside the entrance to Leila Playa (although on the way back you'll need to cross over the foot bridge on the other side of the road).

We like to do things on our own too but we have had a couple of good pre-organised trips too, especially the one we took from Villacana, Estepona to Ronda by train from Algeciras and then back but coach. It was a trip we were going to do on our own but OH wasn't feeling up to driving so we did booked the trip and weren't disappointed.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

Where can you get an over 60s Gold Card? i'm finding one of the benefits of becoming older is the concessions available.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leila Playa to Dona Lola & Calahonda in general

Here's a link to a recent thread about the RENFE Gold Card

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g315915-i5230-k6…

Not sure if they have over 60s bus passes as don't remember seeing anything on TA about them, but someone might know.

Get answers to your questions about Sitio de Calahonda