We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts are they still there? Recommendations?

Ocean City, Md.
Level Contributor
27 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Resorts are they still there? Recommendations?

I am looking for a midweek get-a-way in April and wanted the pool in the bedroom thing that I envied for years. Yeah, I know cheesy but am I too late? What I read is that these places have fallen to bad times and only one company is still there charging high rates for so so rooms. Can anyone recommend a resort that they were happy with? Thanks.

OC Pat

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts are they still there? Recommendations?

Take a look at Erhardt's. Especially if you go a little off season, it's romantic. Families have lots of fun in season about mid June to early August. Rates are good off season, although it's still warm in August to enjoy the water. They have paddle boats, row boats, canoes, gorgeous sunsets, good food in their restaurant, an outdoor dining deck overlooking the lake. Their room are a variety of styles...cottage, inn, motel type. And some do have a jacuzzi...although not heart shaped. It's about 270 miles from Ocean City.

http://www.ehrhardts.com/

You could go north a bit to Hawley and see a big antique place we were surprised to find. There are a few stores actually, but I think the one we liked is Antique Exchange. It was enormous. Not so big across the front so you'd say, this is big? But it goes way back.

One time we were there we got pizza and ice cream at Joe and Lorenzo's Pizza and Ice Cream on Main Ave. We walked past the next store, crossed the little street and I think it was at the following store they had two benches in front, one marked "Republicans" and one marked "Democrats". It was a while since we saw that so I don't know if it's still there. But the pizza and ice cream were delicious.

When you click on Accommodations you'll see the link for "Links". That will give you a list of many things going on in the area.

Milton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts are they still there? Recommendations?

I don't know if I'm too late or not, but we were always happy with what were the Caesar's chains. They have 3 resorts that offer the heart shaped jacuzzi's and some have in-room pools. We've stayed at all 3, and all 3 have their advantages and disadvantages. You'll see lots of negative reviews, but also lots of positives. They have a FB page (Cove Haven Entertainment Resorts, I believe) and there are a lot of hardcore fans there that will help weed through the complaints that are nit-picky and the complaints that may have merits.

Mid-week this time of year is time to get the best rates. If you go with the right mindset that these resorts are a throwback to a long gone era, and you enjoy kitsch (as my husband and I do), then you'll have a ball. If you're easily offended by innuendo (sometimes in the nightly entertainment) or put-off by kitsch, and only prefer the finest upscale things, you probably won't enjoy yourself.

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

And ignore any comments from people that it's a swinger's joint. Not even close. You'd find more of that behavior at your regular hotel than you would there.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 03:57
Ocean City, Md.
Level Contributor
27 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts are they still there? Recommendations?

thank you, both. Due to the mixed reviews we ended up going to Deep Creek and rented a cabin. I did look into your suggestions but it just wasn't working for me. Thanks again.

4. Re: Resorts are they still there? Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:42
Get answers to your questions about Pocono Mountains Region