We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

Because we missed out on going in September due to hotels already booked, we are thinking of going to Capri and Positano in late May/Early June. What is your opinion of this time of year? I have heard it is less crowded (I have been there one day in August) at this time of year, but is it more enjoyable in the mid to late time of June?

Thank you for any advice! We want to be able to go out on boat rides, shop (well, I do, anyway!), get into restaurants. I am thinking of staying at the Scalinatella or Quisi..any thoughts on that?

6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

I went this year at this time and it was great, less quiet then when I have been in late July. Great boat trips round Capri, especially been able to go and see the blue grotto which is fantastic and alot of other sites around the island.

Positano is also quieter too, visited there as well they are both great places, with amazing views and sights

Hope this helps :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

Thank you so much, Clare! I am hoping to do exactly what you say: great boat trips, maybe a cooking lesson, sightseeing, and of course, shopping. I think it would be nice to have fewer crowds, but still have a lively atmosphere. It would also be nice not to have to have a super crowded area around the blue grotto. I am looking for a balance but to make sure that it is not a boring time of year to go.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

Hardly boring at all; it will be pretty crowded by then, just not as crowded as July and August. But, you are talking of going in what is considered around the start of high season. Don't expect uncrowded or closed shops, etc. Just less crowded is all.

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

It definatly still has a great atmosphere and isn't too quiet at all, it's just not as crowded as it is in July, boat trips are great like I said and if your wishing to visit the Blue Grotto make sure you go when the sea is calm as otherwise it is closed because you have to get off one boat and get into a little rowing boat to get into it. It is a little extra charge but well worth it :)

Great to see the rich and famous houses around Capri too :)

Have a lovely time :) x

San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

Thank you so much for your replies, as it is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I just did not want to miss the lively atmosphere, but wish to avoid being packed like sardines, as one finds in August. I will love seeing the homes as well..maybe the Euro will make them affordable by then!! :))

If you have any "must do" activities or restaurants, I would be grateful to know what you loved!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

We stayed on Capri for 8 days in May 2008, starting on about May 20. As June approached it got more and more crowded. We followed that by 3 days on ischia. We saw merchandise on ischia that looked the same as that on Capri for half the price. I am not sure that shopping and actually buying a lot of stuff on Capri is a good idea.

The further away you get from the Piazzetta, the less crowded it is.

pictures that show this

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

We are budget travelers so we stayed on the Anacapri side and it is a lot less crowded than the Capri side.

Quisisana (way out our league)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

Oh, thank you so much for the gorgeous pictures! Just as I remember it. I absolutely loved going to Anacapri..I only had a short time, maybe about 2 hours, and found it completely charming and want to go back. I had a few pairs of sandals made at Antonio Viva's (loved that gentleman..a real craftsman) and at another sandal making place. I did not get a lot of time, as I was with a cruise group..(I don't really do cruises but that was one time we were taking our son on a quick week vacation.) I don't know if 4 days will be too much, but it sounds as if there are lots of things to keep you busy. I hope to take boat rides (sometimes they include it in your hotel rate, I think.)

I would also love to go to Ischia..another dream of mine. I am sure you are correct that it is less price inflated than Capri..and I have seen some pictures of stores there. There are so many nice things that you can't get in the US and anything handcrafted is so exciting to see. Shopkeepers take real pride in their products and it would be nice to wander around without a schedule so that you can get to know people and the wonderful things they have been making for generations. Thank you again for taking your time to tell me about your experiences. It is very meaningful to us.

8. Re: Advice on Capri in late May/early June vs. later in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:16