We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

I'm travelling in group of 3. How do i go to Jungfraujoch from Zurich? Is there discount for train travel for 3?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

I have the same question tough due to mount titlis is closed next month.... will await for the best answer 2. Jungfraujoch will be the best alternative

Edited: 22 October 2011, 18:38
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

www.sbb.ch/en useful site

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

Hi DiamondHanss & DeepakJosen,

No, it's not an advisable trip. If you use the website provided by smt s, you'll see that the journey is about five hours in each direction, so that means you'll spend 10 hours sitting inside a moving box in one day.

I think you have two alternatives for a good Swiss visit -- there are some mountains that are closer to Zürich/Luzern that you can experience. In addition to Titlis, there is Pilatus and Rigi, and a few more. OR, you can move your base so that you're located closer and won't have to travel as far on the day you want to go up the mountain. You could stay in Grindelwald, Wengen, Mürren, Lauterbrunnen, Bern, Thun, or Spiez.

Sorry, there are no discounts for groups of three travelling together; group discounts require 10 people in the group. But there are a number of discount cards or passes that may be worthwhile for your travels. Take a look at

www.swiss travelsystem.com

to see if any will work for you.

Have fun!

s

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

People who want to go up the Jungfrau, will not usually be satisfied with alternatives. After all the Jungfraujoch journey is one of the worlds greatest experiences. It will be a long day, and an expensive one, but well worth it.

Zurich to Interlaken can be achieved on a very early morning departure, and likewise the return journey can be made late evening. References to Swiss Railways as being like travelling in a box is an insult to the best railway network in the world. GO FOR IT !!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

Hi again,

Well, I do disagree with JOHN above -- I believe a lot of the drive to ascend the Jungfraujoch is derived from hype, advertising, and marketing; I think that any terrific mountaintop experience will be just that -- terrific!

And so sorry, but 10 hours inside a train carriage is exactly that, 10 hours inside a box. I adore the Swiss rail network and use it all the time. But for me six hours in one day is plenty, and I do that for transportation purposes. Putting myself through 10 hours of it if I didn't have to would be bad.

Trains can NOT equal a day outside on a mountaintop. So, if I had to travel 10 hours to spend two hours on a mountaintop, that would be bad. If I could travel two hours to spend eight hours on an Alpine slope, that is great!!

In addition, you can never tell what the weather will be like at the Jungfraujoch when you leave Zürich/Luzern. It may be clear when you leave, but five hours later, it may be clouded over. That would be a pretty big waste of time & money imo.

s

Edited: 23 October 2011, 17:47
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

I agree 100% with swandav. There are better mountain viewpoints in Switzerland than the Jungfraujoch; the Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn being the obvious ones. I also think the Niesen and Brienzer Rothorn are a better viewpoints despite the absence of glaciers - the view is more varied and much wider. Gornergrat is my favourite though.

The indoor areas at Jungfraujoch are dark, gloomy and depressing, so before going up, make sure not only that there is no cloud but also that the exit giving access to the glacier is open. Both time I've been up there it was closed, and when this is the case outside access is pretty restricted and nothing special in terms of views.

Edited: 23 October 2011, 21:04
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

I have to fully agree with Swandav too. Swiss train/bus system is surely the best in the world but it is a transportation system. Getting transported from A to B, no matter how regularly, comfortably and on time, simply cannot equal to being on the actual mountain top.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

I too am interested in going to Junfraujoch fron Zurich and am confused by a couple of the posts. I realize it is about 4 1/2 hours by train to Jungfraujoch, then even longer to get to the observatory. Neuch, you mentioned Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn, aren't those even further from Zurich? Also, would anyone recommend the trip if an overnight in Jungfraujoch were included? If not, could you recommend a mountian viewpoint that would be a day trip from Zurich? We will be traveling to Zurich in mid-April. Thank you in advance for your help!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

Hi KathyP115,

A mountain viewpoint that is a comfortable day-trip from Zürich is Pilatus or Titlis.

www.pilatus.ch

www.titlis.ch

Have fun!

s

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Zurich to Jungfraujoch

Hi there, I am planning a trip to Switzerland this coming summer and I am flying to Swiss from the UK. Jungfraujoch region is one of my main destination but unfortunately I do not have much time is Swiss, maybe 3-4 days. I am wondering where is the best place to leave for the Jungfraujoch region? Zurich or Geneva? Or are the any alternatives apart from Jungfraujoch region which I can see nice, breathtaking mountain views? Kindly advise me on this please. Thank you.