We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

Hi,

I will be staying in Interlaken for 3Nights. I heard that it would be cheaper buying train ticket to Jungfrau if you have rail pass. Is it true? But is it necessary to buy a rail pass since I only stay for 3nights? Can i get a cheaper ticket in any other way? How much does it cost?

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

Hi Psyful,

If you look at the following website it lists the discounts for trains. jungfrau.ch/en/…

You need to add up your travel costs and do the math. Are you using the passenger

Trains to get to other places In Switzerland?

Add up the costs of all the trains you will use. See the Sbb.ch website to do this.

All of the default ares are half-price so you will have to double the price to see what they would be without a pass of some kind. Then compare the costs of the various passes which you can find on swisstravelsystem.com/en/…swiss-pass-en.html

Most of us do not recommend staying in Interlaken as it is a tourist trap. Take a look at a Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, and Grindelwald. Can get a train from Interlaken Ost.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 11:52
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

Hi Marb E,

No im not going anywhere else in Switzerland. Only interlaken. What do you mean by trap? Hope dun mind if you can share your experience. Anyway lauterbrunnen accomodtn are expensive rite?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

Some people dislike Interlaken because it's where many of the tourists go, there are many quiet spots away from the main street through the town where you can avoid the mass of tourists. If you are only there for three days then the time you spend in Interlaken will be limited. I usually stay across the river in Unterseen which is very quiet and delightful.

The trip to Jungfraujoch is very much dependent on the weather if the peak is cloudy then don't go. Without a pass the cheapest ticket is the "Good Morning" ticket and you need to get up and get the first train from Interlaken Ost see the JUngfrau website.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,762 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

I am one of the contributors who likes Interlaken because of the good transport links and the wider range of shops, bars and restaurants. Swisslover is quite right about there being quieter parts of Interlaken, and the last time we stayed there it was only for three nights and we only spent a few hours of the evening in the town itself.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

The main point is if you have come to this area of Switzerland to see the impressive beauty of the Swiss Alps then why not STAY in the middle of all of that beauty? Interlaken is not in the alps. That's why many people say to bypass Interlaken and keep going on the train for 20 more minutes to arrive in Lauterbrunnen - that's where you'll see the dramatic beauty.

Wengen, Switzerland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

Hello Psyful,

I would recommend that you buy a VIP-Pass for 3 days. Further information of this pass here: http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/vip-pass

Please also intend to visit or stay in Wengen. It's the closest mountain-village to the Jungfraujoch. Our website is: www.wengen.ch

Or check out the facebook: www.facebook.com/WengenLauberhorn

See you very soon in the Jungfrau Region.

WENGEN TOURISM

Rolf

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

To answer your question, when I come to Switzerland, I come there for the beauty of peace and beauty of Nature! I do not find that in Interlaken!

With all do respect to Wengen Tourism, I would again do the Math!! A VIP pass is for three consecutive Days costs and 235sf. Check out the website given to you by the Tourist office. It does not include your travel to and from Interlaken from whereever you enter Switzerland from. If you have three beautiful days and spend the time using the routes covered by the pass, it would save you money. However, two of those days could be poor weather and you would have spent that money and won't might not be able to make the trip to Jungfrau. Add up all your plans, exactly what you want to do...and then see which pass benefits you most! There is no need to buy the VIP pass in advance, anyway, since it can be purchased in Interlaken. You can also purchase half-fare card whereever you enter the country. This would give you half-fare on the trains right away. But again, do the math.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 23 May 2014, 00:28
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,076 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

HFC (Half fare card) can work out to be a better deal than a Swiss pass if your main trip while here will be to the Jungfraujoch. With the HFC you have 50% off the entire trip up and back. With the pass you have to pay an additional 100frs or so to get from Wengen to the J. and back to Wengen or Grindelwald.

You can get a HFC via the SBB site or at any Swiss station including the ones at the airports. Cost is 120frs for a month.

Rockville
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

This has been a very interesting conversation to me. I arrive in Zurich on July 2, and then will stay a few days in each Zurich, Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen, Zermatt and Geneva (before a final few days in Monte Carlo). I'm a little confused as to how to pack ... it's warm down low, and cold in the higher elevations. Do people really pack for both climates?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,076 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Ticket Interlaken to Jungfrau

Basically - yes. For those of us who live here it comes almost automatically - if we are going to the mountains we take/wear different clothes from those we would be wearing on the same day at home. We know it will be cooler. For those who come to Switzerland often they know this too and they pack layers. Which is what you need to do as well. You will need sweaters/lightweight anoraks etc for Zermatt and probably not for Geneva or Zürich... and you pile on the layers as things get cooler.